Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:56 PM   #11

Don't you ever look at the results in the viewfinder to see whether you need to retake the picture?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Don't you ever look at the results in the viewfinder to see whether you need to retake the picture?
You mean image review on the monitor? No. I have image review turned off. My exposure is always good and Iíve practiced being a pretty solid platform for my camera, so shake is minimized. If the image wasnít what I wanted at the moment I pressed the shutter, then Iíll take another. How do I know? I just took it...Iíve got the last image in my mind. I donít need to look at it on the monitor. Maybe that just comes from having grown up with film...back then my earliest chance to review was after I squeegeed the negatives and hung them to dry!

That said, I do look at the images on the camera sometimes just to look at them...but by that time the moment is usually long gone.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
No. I usually shoot in continuous mode, with my eye to the optical viewfinder.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:00 PM   #14

OP:

Quite a different set of answer from those you received at DPR when you asked the question there. My answer is the same.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:17 AM   #15

I've come from film, but I use the LCD often to review the histogram and peep at the sharpenss. Now that my back is 62 years old, I use it more for low level compositon too. I use all the tools avalible. If it swiveled, like the D5100, I'd be much better off.

Garry
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
OP:

Quite a different set of answer from those you received at DPR when you asked the question there. ...
The answers here are better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The answers here are better.
At least they've been provided by people that have more than a passing acquaintance with OVFs of all persuasions

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:55 PM   #18

A tilt/swivel lcd is one of my big needs for any camera I'll buy. I have the a550 with the tilt screen which I use just about every outing. when photographing on the street, i often take waist level shots. once in a blue moon, i'll hold the camera up to see over a crowd or a fence. the tilt is no good when i shoot portrait mode tho. then a swivel would be better. can't have everything so i'll pick tilt. for tripod work, i use the live view almost all the time. i don't like bending and holding my eye to the viewfinder. as for breakage, well i do have to be careful to close it a bit when i move.

i guess, like always, it depends what type of photography you're doing. if you want kid level shots, good luck with squatting down to the floor time and time again. nobody mentioned, but sony is the only manufacturer to implement PDAF with Live view.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:58 AM   #19

Old school here, don't chimp using the lcd often.

It doesn't fit my workflow when working in the field on a tripod or in the studio from a camera stand.
But then I also will often use a Sekionic l-358 to set the exposure, and not trust the camera to guess each shot correctly.

For the low down work I prefer a right-angle optical finder to a movable lcd.

I've only had one P&S with a articulated lcd and I promptly broke it off accidentally!

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Fixum up spellin
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:38 AM   #20

I had a swivel LCD on my old Canon Powershot, which I had for 5 years before the camera died. I never had any issues with the swivel, the cables that connected it, or anything go wrong with the LCD screen. I love the ability to take pictures up high, down low, and then turn the camera on myself for family shots and be able to get everyone in the frame without guessing everyone is in the frame. I just recently purchased the FZ-100 cause it has the swivel screen (which was the biggest selling point, along with many other reasons). That is the first thing I look for in a new camera. If the screen doesn't swivel or at a minimum tilt, I won't even look any farther into it.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote