Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:35 AM   #1

Default Swivel or tilt LCD, your preference?

I like the flexibility, creative side of a swivel LCD, had one in my Canon G6. But I've been wondering if added perspective of a swivel screen is not (over) compensated through slowness in taking aim at a subject. The shooting line is not parallel to the aiming line. Hope I make myself understood.

Anyone with a tilting screen, what is your experience, which way would you go now for a new camera, tilt or swivel??
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:15 AM   #2

Personally, I'd prefer not to have an important component of an expensive camera asking to be broken off. I'm fine with an LCD monitor that's firmly afixed to the back of the camera body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:27 AM   #3

I like the tilt screen on the A580. It feels very solid and being able to shoot over the heads of crowds or low-level shots of plants etc without actually lying with my head on the ground is very useful.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Personally, I'd prefer not to have an important component of an expensive camera asking to be broken off. I'm fine with an LCD monitor that's firmly afixed to the back of the camera body.
The main thing that I like about my D5000 swivel screen is that I flip it to be protected when not in use or turn it to face out when I am using it. While I don't use it as a tilt screen, I do like the protection of the LCD not being exposed when it is not in use.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
While I don't use it as a tilt screen, I do like the protection of the LCD not being exposed when it is not in use.
While that protects the LCD monitor, the primary vulnerability is in the moving part: the hinge.

... even if you don't move it, it's still a weak point.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:46 AM   #6

... and in the cable that constantly flexes and eventually breaks.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
... and in the cable that constantly flexes and eventually breaks.
Just curious -- have you experienced such a failure? If so, on which camera?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:58 AM   #8

Not on a stills camera, no. I have experienced it on a laptop (Toshiba), a palmtop organiser (an early Atari - two of these actually failed), and on a video camera (a Sony DCR-PC3). You only have to see how they're constructed to be amazed that they aren't constantly failing.

Last edited by peterbj7; Apr 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:10 AM   #9

I've used videocameras that have the tilt/swivel LCD monitors, and been satisfied with their durability, but the tilt/swivel LCD monitors on still cameras are a lot less impressive.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
The main thing that I like about my D5000 swivel screen is that I flip it to be protected when not in use or turn it to face out when I am using it. While I don't use it as a tilt screen, I do like the protection of the LCD not being exposed when it is not in use.
The other Nikon cameras either come with or have available a clear LCD monitor cover that protects the LCD but also lets you use the camera. It just clips on and I don't even notice it anymore. But neither do I really use my D90's monitor.

I've never had a camera with a tilt screen...my D90 doesn't have one. However, I so dislike using a monitor that even when my D90 is on a tripod at a difficult angle, I'll still contort myself to look through the viewfinder, rather than turn on the LiveView.

Obviously a personal preference
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote