Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:03 PM   #21

Leaving aside the concern for changing media for which we have years of warning, I said "generally" because the copy routines in windows are used by millions every day. they work ok. even tho there is no read after write. the average person has enough to do just making a backup. an off-site backup will increase their chances of not losing data. another incremental of testing the backups is even better. it's not hard once in a while to just play an mp3 or movie from the backup media. much more than that gets complicated and i doubt if really anyone will do that.

you mention business. that's far more complicated and the making/protection/testing of backup/restore solutions costs 100s of thousands a year (just to make up a number). this doesn't belong in a user discussion.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:02 PM   #22

You backup for two reasons:
  1. To recover from mistakes
  2. To recover from catastrophies
Having a single external hard disk drive allows you to recover from mistakes you know about, but it does nothing for the mistakes you don't know about until later.

If you delete or currupt a file, and you know you've done it, you can immediately go to the external HDD and recover the original file. If you don't know you've done it, and your backup has run, the deleted file will be deleted from the backup, and the currupted file will be backed up over top of the good file that was in the backup before.

That's why you use a "grandfather-father-son" backup scheme.

Backup your important documents (i.e.: original images straight from the camera) onto CD-R, DVD-R or BD-R media, store them in a safe place, and refresh them periodically (every 2-3 years.)

Don't use a USB or Firewire device for on-line storage.

RAID won't protect you from mistakes, just catastrophies (and not all of those.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Don't use a USB or Firewire device for on-line storage
What do you use then?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Don't use a USB or Firewire device for on-line storage.
What do you use then?
eSATA or Ethernet.

For backup and near-line storage, USB & Firewire are fine, but for work-in-progress, they're too slow. If you don't have eSATA or Ethernet, copy your work from the USB or Firewire device to an internal drive, do your work, then copy it back again.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:33 AM   #25

I have eSATA on some of my hard drives but sadly not on my new laptop - they seem to be dropping it these days (along with Firewire, which isn't even fitted to all Macs nowadays). But Ethernet? On a hard drive? Never heard of it.

As to what you suggest, I always copy external files onto my internal disk and work with them there. That's not my logjam. That's the time taken to copy them back.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:56 PM   #26

I've got a Lacey 1TB and have had for more than a year. I'm pleased with it. Two different camera stores recommended this brand to me.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:59 AM   #27

I used to buy those, but lost interest when a firewire desktop drive that had only been used half a dozen times suddenly wasn't recognised. I still have it but might as well chuck it - neither my Windows machine nor my Mac recognises it.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:41 AM   #28

Quote:
... But Ethernet? On a hard drive? Never heard of it.
... via a server or NAS.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:57 AM   #29

But how is the disk connected to the server?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:20 PM   #30

Quote:
But how is the disk connected to the server?
Usually SATA, but occasionally SCSI.