Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 5, 2004, 6:35 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 32
Default Got my c-5050, do I need a filter?

I'm not sure what they are used for. I get the impression some protect the lens from various things and some effect the pictures in various ways. It seems after a carry case, memory card and rechargeables, that's what folks may get next.

Can anyone educate me here, or suggest something?
cram33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,585
Default

I use two primary filters, a uv filter and a circular polarizer. You will need an adapter to use the filters. Check with the people at www.2filters.com they have good prices and are very helpful.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:10 PM   #3
Administrator
 
steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,535
Default Re: Got my c-5050, do I need a filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram33
I'm not sure what they are used for. I get the impression some protect the lens from various things and some effect the pictures in various ways. It seems after a carry case, memory card and rechargeables, that's what folks may get next.

Can anyone educate me here, or suggest something?

We use a UV or Skylight filter to protect the lens. It's cheaper to replace a filter than have to send your camera in to get the lens replaced

Circular polarizers are used to eliminate or minimize light reflections off of glass or water and/or darken sky areas.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:12 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 32
Default

Thanks, based on more research I picked up the Tiffen lens tube (OLYC300AD) and a Tiffen UV filter. I was suprised that my original lense cap stays on pretty well.
cram33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 186
Default

This is a good site for C-5050 owners.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/index.html

I'm very pleased with mine.
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ImKayd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,785
Default

Thanks for the site reference. I'm waiting for my 5050 and reading everything here is really making it hard to wait. Very informative.

Kayd :P
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,652
Default

Phil, "The Filter Connection" is an A-1 site. I'm so glad you posted it. Of course, this invites the opening of one's wallet, but anything for art, right?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default Re: Got my c-5050, do I need a filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "steve
We use a UV or Skylight filter to protect the lens. It's cheaper to replace a filter than have to send your camera in to get the lens replaced
What's a skylight filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "steve
Circular polarizers are used to eliminate or minimize light reflections off of glass or water and/or darken sky areas.
Is there any advantage in using a circular polarizer instead of a linear one in a non-DSLR camera?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:05 AM.