Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAIPHUKET View Post
Do you think there is a technical reason not to give the option of manual zooming? Because I believe that the vast majority of consumers are getting unnerved...
The technical reason for power only zoom on most P&S cameras is the size of the camera, there is no space for a usable manual control. I doubt any "vast majority" of P&S users do anything but shoot at the shortest focal length most of the time except for a couple dozen shots a year while on vacation. A good percentage of forum participants might like better zoom controls but we're a tiny percentage of all users.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
You are right, I was referring to faster and more exact Framing, not focussing, i.e. manual zooming. Do you think there is a technical reason not to give the option of manual zooming? Because I believe that the vast majority of consumers are getting unnerved by the inability to do any excat framing with a motorized zoom, jerking backwards and forwards until the shot is lost.
In short, do you think camera industry is misreading the consumer in this respect?
Define "vast majority". I'm not unnerved by it. Anyone else?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
The technical reason for power only zoom on most P&S cameras is the size of the camera, there is no space for a usable manual control.
+1. Which is why I was so pleased to see the Canon S95 has a ring around the lens base that selects 28mm (equivalent), 35, 50, 85 and 105 while in auto mode. Also has the typical zoom motor control in the usual place.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
+1. Which is why I was so pleased to see the Canon S95 has a ring around the lens base that selects 28mm (equivalent), 35, 50, 85 and 105 while in auto mode. Also has the typical zoom motor control in the usual place.
which tells us, where a will is is a way or whenever the consumer demands it.
Those who are contend with a motorized slow jerky zoom have forgotten the ease of framing and shooting with a manual zoom,
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Those who are contend with a motorized slow jerky zoom have forgotten the ease of framing and shooting with a manual zoom,
Or they're people that didn't use an SLR. I'm sorry but I think a large percentage of former SLR users still interested in photography are using a DSLR so this is not an issue. I would bet the vast majority of digicam users have no SLR experience or if they did it was with some simple prime lenses. I'm sorry this is a hot topic for you personally, but I think you overstate the impact to the market as a whole.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Or they're people that didn't use an SLR. I'm sorry but I think a large percentage of former SLR users still interested in photography are using a DSLR so this is not an issue. I would bet the vast majority of digicam users have no SLR experience or if they did it was with some simple prime lenses. I'm sorry this is a hot topic for you personally, but I think you overstate the impact to the market as a whole.
Plus one mechanical issue, with allowing manually twistting the zoom lens while it's being driven by the motor.

You are going to damage the power transmission gear system if you twist it at the output (the external lens ring).

You gonna apply a very large torque to overcome the gear ratio.

Then there has to have some sort of "automatic clutch" to detach to lens from the gear b4 you could twist it safely, when it senses that you are apply a torque at the ouput. And that's definitely adding to the cost.

Even DSLR lenses may NOT allow automatic changeover from motor-driven to manual zoom.

Last edited by big_potato; Apr 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:38 PM   #17

thanks Big Potato, you gave the fully comprehensible answer!!
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote