Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:04 AM   #1

Default Why are non-SRL zooms motorized?

As I said before, I'd love to be able to go back to non-jerky, endlessly more fast and exact framing manual zooms.( Non SLRs)
Are others of the same view?
Why is industry not at least allowing the option?
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:19 AM   #2

not sure I understand the question. If you're saying manual focus is faster than autofocus I would say you're not using a good quality lens. Today's AF technology with a good lens that has a quality focus motor is infinitely faster than manual focus. But, not all cameras and not all lenses are created equal in that regard. In poor light, consumer grade lenses will have issues.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Neither could I undertand this topic very well

Pls clarify or elaborate what you meant by e.g. "manual zooms"
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:44 PM   #4

I believe he is talking about being able to change the focal length of the lens manually, as most SLR zoom lenses do, and as I can do with my Minolta Dimage 7hi. Having used the motorized zooms, I completely agree that manual is much better.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:56 PM   #5

The funny thing is that one of my very first posts here was to ask for a non-dSLR camera that had a mechanical zoom - I wanted to be able to adjust the zoom as I wanted, rather than having to try to hit the right point with a motorized zoom. The old FZ30 was one camera that had a mechanical zoom. So I can also relate to this topic (though I ended up moving to a dSLR after I didn't get along with the Panny).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I believe he is talking about being able to change the focal length of the lens manually, as most SLR zoom lenses do, and as I can do with my Minolta Dimage 7hi. Having used the motorized zooms, I completely agree that manual is much better.

brian
There are only three others that I'm aware of that do that and one is no longer being made: The Olympus SP-570UZ, the Fujifilm HS-10, and the Fujifilm HS-20EXR. I could be wrong but as I said... "that I'm aware of".
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:08 PM   #7

One other out of production P&S, the Kodak P880.

A. C
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:04 PM   #8

G'day TP

I think your comment regarding zooms relates to the 99% of P&S cameras where the user pushes the zoom button left or right to zoom in or out ... rather than the SLR lenses where the user rotates by hand the zoom controls

In answer, I would think of 2 things here - a) most P&S cameras have small lenses (in size & weight) and as such a small motor can do the moving, and b) most users of P&S cameras are not serious photographers (like we are) and do not mind if the image is a fraction 'out' ... too big or too small, as they can adjust it during printing if they desire

The small number of non-SLR cameras that do have a manual zoom ring [ie- as listed above by gjt] are the exception, and no doubt the owners of those cameras are serious photographers who like the type of camera without the inconvenience of the SLRs size & weight

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:16 PM   #9

I think the reason for this is that entry level SLRs are at a price level to compete with the more advance fixed lens cameras, and more serious photographers opt for the SLR, leaving very little market share for advanced P&S cameras.
Probably the peak of development of the manual zoom fixed lens camera was the Sony R1, with APS-c sensor. This was a manual zoom, as I recall. Would have gotten one at a somewhat lower price.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:42 AM   #10

You are right, I was referring to faster and more exact Framing, not focussing, i.e. manual zooming. Do you think there is a technical reason not to give the option of manual zooming? Because I believe that the vast majority of consumers are getting unnerved by the inability to do any excat framing with a motorized zoom, jerking backwards and forwards until the shot is lost.
In short, do you think camera industry is misreading the consumer in this respect?
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote