Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:49 AM   #1

Default Focus Trap??? Which cameras can I use focus trap with?

- Is there a list of DSLRs I can use "focus trap" with? Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica, Mamiya, Hasselblad, etc...?
- Can I use with any lens on cameras which capable of the focus trap feature?

I have a few old manual lenses and it would be great to focus on moving subjects...

Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:52 AM   #2

Is focus trap a feature of the lens or the camera? I am sorry if the question is too basic.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:38 AM   #3

I am sure most people have virtually no idea of what you are asking about. My understanding is what you want to do is the following: on some SLR cameras, when using a manual focus lens you can set the camera to auto focus; then hold the shutter button down and adjust the focus. Once the camera "captures" focus on an object that comes into view, it will automatically take the photo.

Is this what you mean?

If so, I have not tried that for many years ... although I know some of the expensive "pro" cameras will do it. Function 16 in most (if not all) dSLR Series 1 EOS cameras can be used, like if you want to take photos of, say, hummers ... especially if it can trigger burst mode so you can get a great shot. Beyond that, I have not even thought about it in a number of years. Perhaps someone else can be of assistance and come up with a list.

I am pretty sure, though, it will not be inherently available on non-"pro" cameras. IMHO.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgernhardtjr View Post
I am sure most people have virtually no idea of what you are asking about
+1!!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Most, if not all of the Pentax DSLRs can use this 'feature'. I don't think it was planned that way, but is an incidental occurrence from making the cameras compatible with manual focus lenses. (now, it is touted as a feature). It is also possible to use it with auto focusing lenses in manual focus mode, if you temporarily insulate one of the connectors between lens and body.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgernhardtjr View Post
I am sure most people have virtually no idea of what you are asking about. My understanding is what you want to do is the following: on some SLR cameras, when using a manual focus lens you can set the camera to auto focus; then hold the shutter button down and adjust the focus. Once the camera "captures" focus on an object that comes into view, it will automatically take the photo.

Is this what you mean?
YES!!!!
Thanks soooo much!!!