Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:18 AM   #11

I do agree you need to fit your equipment to your needs, wants and budget.
Especially if it is a hobby.

My gitzo pod and RRS head topped 1600$ and they work flawlessly.

BTW I had an old Praktica Super TL back in the 70's , it worked well but went into the shop often, the sprockets on the nylon film winder they used kept failing. 180$ repair every time it went in. Discarding it and using the money that would have gone for three of those repairs paid for a Canon A1 which is still going strong 35 years later.

In the end you get what you pay for,

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I have a Gitzo carbon tripod that with head cost me $750.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:43 AM   #12

Yes, when the A1 came out (and I bought one) many people looked at it and said it wouldn't last. The way to go was Nikon F. Well, time proved those people wrong. Both the A1 and indeed the OM2 at least equalled the "F"s longevity, at a fraction of the weight.

Does your A1 have the "standard" shutter squeal? Mine started it after just a few years and still does it. Doesn't seem to affect the performance though. I haven't used it in quite a while, mind.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:26 PM   #13

I often find it to be cheaper to go for the gusto the first time around than to try several cheap models just to be disappointed. I use RRS solutions for several reasons. The engineering standards are among the highest in the industry and the gears on the rail are ultra smooth making minute adjustments seamless. The RRS soultions are like legos for camera setups with endless possibilities for different configurations. One of the biggest reasons is if you buy the RRS and decide you dont like it you can sell it easily on photog forums that have B&S sections for 90% of retail easily so long as you keep it in excellent or better condition. Selling the cheap gear is not so easy and it usually ends up as a gozinta (goes in ta the trash) or a paperweight. If you look at the B&S boards the RRS macro rails seldom are listed for sale but when they do they are gone fast. When I got back into photography heavily several years ago after taking a break from it for some time I went in the with el cheapo mindset but it didnt take long for me to figure it out and just bite the bullet and do it right the first time. My tripod is a Gitzo 3 series, ballhead is an RRS BH55 and gimbal head is a Jobu BWG Pro when shooting with long glass. Chances are you can find most everything used and later if you want to change so long as you maintain its condition you can sell it for what you paid for it and sometimes more so its like a free extended rental. This does not hold true for lower end gear.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:04 PM   #14

One of the concerns I had with cheap macro rails was the thickness of the metal on the rails the camera rests on (and that's often marked with inches), didn't even think of the gears. I figured I would accidentally bend the metal (cheaper ones looked fairly flimsy) - whatever ones you buy make sure that they are thick enough so that they won't bend or twist. I agree that buying the right stuff first will save money (bought the wrong camera and sold it for a loss, have several items that are collecting dust).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:16 PM   #15

OTOH reading the reviews on Amazon of several rails costing $50-$80 shows that they're massively constructed, with the best having very fine tuning indeed. The one that appeals most to me is the Cowboy Studio one at just $55. I don't see paying several hundred $ when high quality is available so cheaply.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #16

Ha, yes it started that famous squeal just a few years ago.
I appears to come from something in the mirror return mechanism.
I found an old Russian repair fellow who fixed it, but that repair cost me more than I originally paid for the camera.
Then I promptly put it in a display case and out of use.

Quote:
Does your A1 have the "standard" shutter squeal? Mine started it after just a few years and still does it. Doesn't seem to affect the performance though. I haven't used it in quite a while, mind.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:28 AM   #17

I asked Canon about it at the time, and they said not to worry unless the noise itself put me off. They said the life of the shutter etc would be unchanged. It's academic now of course.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:36 PM   #18

Quote:
OTOH reading the reviews on Amazon of several rails costing $50-$80 shows that they're massively constructed, with the best having very fine tuning indeed. The one that appeals most to me is the Cowboy Studio one at just $55. I don't see paying several hundred $ when high quality is available so cheaply.
That Cowboy Studio rail set looks exactly like the Adorama budget rails that I got (for $10 more). It looks like that may be the unit that Adorama private-labelled. If so, it is quite capable in my experience.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:15 PM   #19

Looking at the pictures, I think Adorama have relabelled the Zykkor. The Cowboy Studio one to me looked a little different. But that's just from the pictures on the Amazon site.