Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:10 AM   #1

Default What do you think of Pistol Grip Handle tripods?

I need a better tripod, and found a good deal on a pistol grip handle one. I was wondering if the pistol grip is a good option and is very convenient to use. I can tell you from experience, the standard cheapo ones which require you to set multiple levers are inconvenient and slow. Does anyone know if the pistol grip compares with a ball head?

Thanks
spodeworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2

i haven't used one but would suggest getting it if the deal feels good. it's just a head. over time, you'll acquire several legs and heads. you might find that the pistol grip works better with video. or, you might love it for stills. i use a ball head and sometimes, when i'm wearing gloves, the levers are too small. in those situations, the pistol grip would be an advantage.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks. I guess the main thing I am trying to find out is whether a pistol grip is as flexible as a ball head. And, if not, where does it fall short.
spodeworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:12 PM   #4

Which one are you looking at, there are several out there and they are all different. None of them (pistol grips) are as flexible as a ball head that has a sleeker profile and can be adjusted in just about any position short of upside down. Pretty much every ballhead can go to portrait positon without dismounting the camera or needing an L bracket and the physical mechanics of how they work are much more stable. For me its a no brainer, ball head all the way!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote