Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Default 2010 Digital camera & DSLR global market shares

Occasionally, we'll see some data for US or Japan market share. But a few days ago, the IDC had a press release citing Global market shares for 2010 for various manufacturers.

ALL digicams (including interchangeable lens systems):

• Canon.......19%
  • Sony..........17.9
  • Nikon.........12.6
  • Samsung...11.1
  • Panasonic..7.6
  • Kodak........7.4
  • Olympus....6.1
  • Fujfilm........4.9
  • Casio..........4
  • Pentax........1.5
  • Other..........7.9

Interchangeable lens only (DSLR, mirrorless, etc.):
  • Canon 44.5%
  • Nikon 29.8%
  • Sony 11.9%
  • Everyone else: 13.8%

I haven't seen anything out on the net that breaks down that 13.8% any further (into Oly, Pentax, Panasonic, Sigma etc...)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Administrator

Yea.. I'm not sure where the Interchangeable lens numbers came from. Most sources are quoting Thom Hogan for that part of the stats. See here (and he does reference the IDC press release for them):

http://www.bythom.com/

But, I can't find those numbers anywhere else (bloomberg, etc.) that got the same e-mail (and I've been unable to locate the press release on the IDC web sites).

Now, one thing I did find interesting not long ago is that Sony apparently surpassed Nikon for interchangeable lens camera marketshare in the U.K. as of December (based on month by month numbers versus annual results).

But, that's probably because the new NEX and SLT models are selling well, plus Nikon apparently had some supply shortages that may have impacted the more recent month to month stats.

In any event, these new types of cameras (especially the mirrorless models) appear to be hot sellers (and since the SLT series models weren't launched until later in the year, the 2010 market share numbers won't really reflect how well those are selling now).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yea.. I'm not sure where the Interchangeable lens numbers came from. Most sources are quoting Thom Hogan for that part of the stats. See here (and he does reference the IDC press release for them):

http://www.bythom.com/

But, I can't find those numbers anywhere else (bloomberg, etc.)
Jim,
You must have missed this article on bloomberg with those same numbers:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ra-models.html
Quote:
In the market for cameras with interchangeable lens, or single lens reflex cameras, Canon controlled 44.5 percent of the market, followed by Nikon with 29.8 percent and Sony with 11.9 percent, according to the data.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Administrator

Yep, I was looking at the table and missed the text part. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Administrator

BTW, this is the first time I've seen IDC publish the numbers via press releases in a few years (as they used to do it more often).

For the past few years, only buying their market research reports (at $1500 a pop) would get you the market share numbers. So, hopefully, they'll continue the current trend and publish that info on an annual basis.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:34 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Now, one thing I did find interesting not long ago is that Sony apparently surpassed Nikon for interchangeable lens camera marketshare in the U.K. as of December (based on month by month numbers versus annual results).
P.S.

Here's one article about that:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_305118.html

But, again, I suspect that the newer NEX and SLT models are the main reason, as they do seem to be hot sellers (plus, apparently Nikon had some supply shortages that may have contributed from what I'm reading elsewhere).
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:20 PM   #7

Canon simply overwhelms the DSLR market. They have done an excellent job in marketing and developing very good equipment.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote