Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:12 PM   #1

Default Wedding Photography Question

Hi:

I've been bagged and talked into shooting a wedding this weekend. The pro backed out today because as far as we can tell (he just told the guy he had another previous scheduled gig he forgot about and had to honor that since it was booked first) backed out because the guy bought his cheapest photo package (all he was going to get was a DVD or DVDs of the unedited images).

Well here comes the question. The guy I will be shooting for warned me that the father of the groom has something against the bride. He doesn't want her married. He has been band from the wedding and its being held in a secret location. He is still worried he will show up and try to stop it etc and wreck the day.

Is their any strategy if this happens to protect myself, my camera etc and any tips for making the most of this moment if it happens.

Yes I am going to the rehearsal tomorrow to get a fell for the lighting and the church etc. Yes I have a back-up camera, plenty of memory and I have done weddings before and shoot action work for the local newspaper...... I know I won't be as good as a real pro but I know I can get some images for them to enjoy.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:26 PM   #2

9mm, track shoes, kevlar vest... spare batteries, extra SD cards, back-up camera. I won't be shooting anymore weddings - EVER. I've done two and although the couples loved the results, it's just too much to ask a friend to do. Too much responsibility. Too many ways to lose friends.

Best of luck, Dave. I mean that sincerely.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
9mm, track shoes, kevlar vest... spare batteries, extra SD cards, back-up camera. I won't be shooting anymore weddings - EVER. I've done two and although the couples loved the results, it's just too much to ask a friend to do. Too much responsibility. Too many ways to lose friends.

LOL, gj. Dave, it does sound like you might need a back up in an ankle holster as well!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Thanks I appreciate that......
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:31 AM   #5

I'm guessing the pro photog cut and run after that warning was issued. If there's a sense that the fellow might become violent, an off-duty cop at the door might be a good investment and a requirement on your part. If the fellow wants to voice an objection at the appropriate part of the ceremony, well, you might want an off-duty cop at the door...

Final suggestion - make sure you have IS lenses, LOL.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
I'm guessing the pro photog cut and run after that warning was issued. If there's a sense that the fellow might become violent, an off-duty cop at the door might be a good investment and a requirement on your part. If the fellow wants to voice an objection at the appropriate part of the ceremony, well, you might want an off-duty cop at the door...

Final suggestion - make sure you have IS lenses, LOL.
The off-duty policeman sounds like the only good solution. I was at an event recently where there was similar potential & it was communicated that there would be police presence & it did the trick. The person stayed away and all went well.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:40 PM   #7

Ask a friend to go with you and act as your look out. Sorry to hear such a nice day is fraught with the wrong type of stress.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:35 PM   #8

I passed on the off duty cop idea and turns out the bride knows a cop from one county over who said he'd come on by with his teaser gun just in case. The pro bolted because he wanted more money on a higher priced package. i was told he was not warned about this for fear he would quit on the spot.

dave
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:36 AM   #9

Not sure what kind of pro this photographer is but he profoundly did a huge disservice by backing out like that. I wish you the best and that you capture the beautiful memories of their day.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:52 PM   #10

Personally I dont think you have anything to worry about as far as the disgruntled father goes. If he really wants to follow up with his threats I would place a bet that he will show up at the secret location as there really are no secrets to be kept in dysfunctional families, someone will tell him just to stir the pot and see what happens. My guess is he will go straight for the bride and her family. Take a video camera instead so you are prepared to get the capture for "My Big fat redneck wedding"! Might make it better if you can get a collapseable pool and fill it with mud and make them duke it out in the mud.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote