Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:53 AM   #1

Default Mirrorless cameras in the sun

Hi,

I've got a little question for all lovers of mirrorless cameras. I'm a little concerned about sunlight and the sensor.

I have the NEX-5 and were out taking pictures when I stopped to change lenses. I discover some dust on the lens I was removing so I examined and cleaned the sensor and it's compartment before mounting the other lens. By doing this I exposed the sensor itself, unprotected, to direct sunlight for approx. 20-30 seconds.

Since there were no lens to focus the sunlight I'm thinking it's probably nothing to be worried about, but then I noticed some noise on some low ISO shots (400-500), and more noise than usual on higher ISO shots like 1600. Maybe it's just underexposure but I can't stop thinking it might be the sunlight that has damaged the sensor and deprived it of some light sensitivity. The camera was however not turned on while changing lenses.

What do you guys think? Underexposure or sunlight?
kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmers View Post
Hi,

I've got a little question for all lovers of mirrorless cameras. I'm a little concerned about sunlight and the sensor.

I have the NEX-5 and were out taking pictures when I stopped to change lenses. I discover some dust on the lens I was removing so I examined and cleaned the sensor and it's compartment before mounting the other lens. By doing this I exposed the sensor itself, unprotected, to direct sunlight for approx. 20-30 seconds.

Since there were no lens to focus the sunlight I'm thinking it's probably nothing to be worried about, but then I noticed some noise on some low ISO shots (400-500), and more noise than usual on higher ISO shots like 1600. Maybe it's just underexposure but I can't stop thinking it might be the sunlight that has damaged the sensor and deprived it of some light sensitivity. The camera was however not turned on while changing lenses.

What do you guys think? Underexposure or sunlight?
I think underexposure. First, the sensor is not really even directly exposed. It is actually the anti-alias filter...the sensor lies under this. Second, although sunlight could conceivably damage the sensor, it would take a lot more than 20-30 seconds, and just having the lens off in direct sun likely would not result in sun damage....I'd be more worried about dust in this instance. Unless your focusing directly at the sun for several minutes, I'd stop worrying.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:01 PM   #3

thanks for your reply, didn't know about the anti-alias filter. Most likely underexposure. Maybe should have posted in the newbie subforum
kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:06 AM   #4

I doubt you did any damage because, as you say there was no lens focusng the sun's image.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote