Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2002, 6:57 PM   #1

Default best free web album ?

with similar services increasing by the day, can we exchange recommendations on webspace where 1 can upload photos and invite friends ? even a pay service if it IS worth it .
however, I have found some don't allow sub-categories, don't allow to link to it from outside, and some would even shrink your photo size duh
here's my take so far :

pBase : seems too good to be true . unlimited orig.size photos but poorly categorized .

WebShots : best free 1 so far, however cannot link from outside because their directories go too deep .

ClubPhoto : well categorized, but will reduce photo size & charge $25/yr w/ 3 months trial .

Fotki : seems ideal, if not for $30/yr fee, 14 day trial .
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:00 PM   #2

I'm active on the gallery mailing list, and <a href="http://www.ableinternet.com">http://www.ableinternet.com was recommended there. It's free and you can then install your own software, like <a href="http://gallery.sourceforge.net"http://gallery.sourceforge.net>gallery</a>.

To check out gallery in action, feel free to visit my personal server at <a href="http://www.ewilts.org/gallery">http://www.ewilts.org/gallery</a>.

I've never used ableinternet.com - I'm just passing the info along. Darn, after I posted the above, I discovered that they're no longer offering the free version. An enhanced service is available for $49 per year which is still pretty cheap.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:24 AM   #3

Not to many free ones left. Pbase is going to start charging soon (opening page down about 1/2 way Jan 15 post) and no linking with their free service now. I use Fototime, 23.95 for 250mb of space and no link restriction. There are others out there, but not many freebies
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 8:35 AM   #4

How much, I wonder, can they get away with charging? These days, it's pretty cheap to find a hosting service and create your own domain. There's a lot of flexibility in just uploading to your own web site, and new tools make simple web sites easy to create.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 11:17 AM   #5

re : monsieurms,
that's NOT the point . besides, surfers R picky than ever before that only those w/ competitive price / service ratio would survive .

the advantage of web-albums R :
_1_ everything is automated . w/ no html NOR thumbnailing software, 1 can just make a folder, upload photos and that's IT ! pronto, w/ all thumbnails built-in .
_2_ 1 can SHARE photos w/ a vast array of members . depending on the service it really goes onto the level of an on-line community .
_3_ most of the services offer some sort of print developing .. the white paper stuff that we sometimes still need ?
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 1:07 PM   #6

I chose Webshots because it seems a lot quicker than Pbase but you get some adverts (not many). The enhanced service is only $166/month.

Quite often (not sure why) I either cannot get into Pbase or it's very slow; no such problems with Webshots, so far.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 7:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
re : monsieurms,
that's NOT the point . besides, surfers R picky than ever before that only those w/ competitive price / service ratio would survive .

the advantage of web-albums R :
_1_ everything is automated . w/ no html NOR thumbnailing software, 1 can just make a folder, upload photos and that's IT ! pronto, w/ all thumbnails built-in .
_2_ 1 can SHARE photos w/ a vast array of members . depending on the service it really goes onto the level of an on-line community .
_3_ most of the services offer some sort of print developing .. the white paper stuff that we sometimes still need ?
Well, I see your point. It is a LOT simpler and quicker, especially for those who don't want to bother with a domain name or even minor HTML. You are absolutely right.

I would say though listening to the complaints about speed, and so on, for those with even a modest amount of skill, (and who may already have FREE web space as offered by many ISPs), I don't think I personally see any use to something like Pbase. From what you've listed, it seems to me I can get this all done well, in some cases better, and for free under my existing setup, and I suspect those with skill and the right setup could say the same.

For me,
1. Even if I knew NO HTML, as opposed to actually being a webmaster for four sites, as I am, simple web design programs, often tossed in for free by ISPS to go with free web space, also automate most everything. You upload your stuff, follow a wizard, and don't need much more. There won't be thumbnails, of course, but putting together a rudimentary site is not so complicated these days.

2. If you have photos on the web, you can share them with anyone by handing them a URL, of course. I have photos on my own site; and Shutterfly. When I want people to look, I give them my own URL, not Shutterfly. That's only if I want them to buy without bothering me to do it for them.

3. Yes, I agree it is not as convenient to switch to another service, but the same photos can be printed on the (for me) rare occasions when I want to by uploading to an Ofoto or Shutterfly (which also have the shared albums). I like the "one stop shopping" idea--but it's a minor convenience for me.

[Edited on 9-2-2002 by monsieurms]
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote