Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 5, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1

Default Reburbrished cameras

Out of curiosity, dies anybody know how well a refurbished camera works? To me, I know that there's ways to fix boards in computers and things of that nature, but once a camera hits the ground, I just feel like it would never work the same again. Am I wrong? Thanks in advance for the answers.

check out some of my photography:http//phil4all.tumblr.com
phil4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2

The canon ones are spot on if they come form the canon service centers, so are the sony's and nikon's form their service centers. There are 3rd party refrebs, not sure about the parts they use, weather they or not they are OEM parts.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The canon ones are spot on if they come form the canon service centers, so are the sony's and nikon's form their service centers. There are 3rd party refrebs, not sure about the parts they use, weather they or not they are OEM parts.
hmm. Interesting.

Old May 5, 2011, 1:24 AM   #4

yeah, if you look at refreb, look for the ones that come form the make. All the brands have refreb from their service centers. So they are a pretty safe bet with a warranty. 90 days normally.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:44 AM   #5

I bought my D5000 factory-refurbished from Nikon. It was like new except that it only had a 90 day warranty from Nikon (upped to one year by the seller.) As with a new camera, you will probably want to buy from an authorized dealer so that you can get it serviced if necessary. BTW, I have also bought factory-refurbished lenses and been pleased with them. In either case, you want to get a good enough deal on the price to justify the added risk you are assuming from the fact that the item is used and has a lower warranty period (I have seen refurbs listed for just a few dollars below the new prices, which makes no sense to me.) But I think a factory refurb is a much better risk than a used item from a private individual.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 8:35 AM   #6

I purchased a Canon 40D for my daughter, factory refurbished from Adorama with the 90 day warranty plus Adorama extends the warranty to 1 year. The camera was like new and has functioned flawlessly. She's a photography major, so she pushes it hard. I'm sure that the reason Adorama is willing to extend the warranty to a year is because of their confidence in the factory refurbishing results. If you think about it, a refurbished camera probably has any of the weaklinks (i.e. a malfuntioning internal part, etc.) already identified and replaced with the better spec, so I would almost feel that you might be getting better than new, if you buy from an authorized dealer.

Last edited by jdnan; May 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 2:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I purchased a Canon 40D for my daughter, factory refurbished from Adorama with the 90 day warranty plus Adorama extends the warranty to 1 year. The camera was like new and has functioned flawlessly. She's a photography major, so she pushes it hard. I'm sure that the reason Adorama is willing to extend the warranty to a year is because of their confidence in the factory refurbishing results. If you think about it, a refurbished camera probably has any of the weaklinks (i.e. a malfuntioning internal part, etc.) already identified and replaced with the better spec, so I would almost feel that you might be getting better than new, if you buy from an authorized dealer.

That's actually a pretty cool way to think about it

Old May 6, 2011, 9:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I too bought a refurb Canon EOS model from Adorama (50D). The camera works great, however I did have a few issues with Live View, which I never use anyway. They didn't have any replacement 50Ds in stock at the time, but did offer to give me a full refund.

I still have the 50D, and it works great. I haven't tried Live View lately to see if the issue persists, but even if it does I don't care since everything else works flawlessly.

Good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 7:07 PM   #9

I've had two factory refurb Kodak P&Ss (DC5000, circa '02 & Z612, circa '06) and although I've upgraded they both still work nicely. The only fault on either is the date/time battery on the Z612.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:15 PM   #10

I got my last camera from Fuji online which was refurbished and it has been a good trusty camera. No complaints from here
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote