Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 8, 2011, 8:05 AM   #1

Default Why am I so Anal about How Many Pixels I Have

You know, I've been observing my images and thinking about the stuff I have shot with my Canon 10D, Canon 20D, Canon 1Ds Mkll and my Pentax K10D's and K20D's. I have also shot with pretty much every Medium Format camera and digital back available.

I JUST DON'T SEE ANY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANY OF THEM WHEN PRINTED TO A LARGER THAN STANDARD MAGAZINE FORMAT!!! That being around A3. Perhaps color nuance and some grain differences when I shot at 400 or 800 iso.

I have been published with all of the above camera's. All of the magazine's I have been published in are very high grade Trendy Press book quality magazines. The output out of all of the above camera's were more than adequate for my needs.

My point is this. In terms of resolving power and for most support that most of us would imagine being published in, pretty much all of the newer DSLR's out today could be used for professional application, if you know their limitations.

In fact my last shoot I did with the Pentax K20D was over kill considering the size of the support i.e. about 8x10 inches. In fact I had to reduce the image size to get down to 300 dpi for Pre Press. I would have been quite comfortable with a 8-10 mega pixel DSLR. The only grain I see when published with a 10 mega pixel camera in double page landscape format is the "tram" grain of the printing press of around 133 dpi.

Why do I bring all of this up...Pixel Peeping is a total waste of time.

Go out and enjoy your toy and use it to express who and what you are.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/vnx
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2011, 8:12 AM   #2

A big, hearty AMEN! I couldn't agree more. I have been trying to tell friends and fellow photogs this since I've been shooting (which ain't too awful long). It seems people are sucked into it like a moth to the flame and chase after the "perfect camera"... and you and I know, there ain't no such animal. I almost got sucked into this mindset but caught myself when I thought about how I chased "the perfect computer" for a decade. It never ends until you end it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 9:12 AM   #3

Default I agree

benjikan,

I have enjoyed your posts of your work and insight. This post is exactly as gjtoth had mentioned. The pixel peep and resolving power and .... and.... just gets one to chase the elusive doesn't exist or ever will to make their images better.
Taking the time go out and just shoot is a novel idea for some who just collect the gear that will solve their issues in getting great images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjikan View Post
You know, I've been observing my images and thinking about the stuff I have shot with my Canon 10D, Canon 20D, Canon 1Ds Mkll and my Pentax K10D's and K20D's. I have also shot with pretty much every Medium Format camera and digital back available.

I JUST DON'T SEE ANY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANY OF THEM WHEN PRINTED TO A LARGER THAN STANDARD MAGAZINE FORMAT!!! That being around A3. Perhaps color nuance and some grain differences when I shot at 400 or 800 iso.

I have been published with all of the above camera's. All of the magazine's I have been published in are very high grade Trendy Press book quality magazines. The output out of all of the above camera's were more than adequate for my needs.

My point is this. In terms of resolving power and for most support that most of us would imagine being published in, pretty much all of the newer DSLR's out today could be used for professional application, if you know their limitations.

In fact my last shoot I did with the Pentax K20D was over kill considering the size of the support i.e. about 8x10 inches. In fact I had to reduce the image size to get down to 300 dpi for Pre Press. I would have been quite comfortable with a 8-10 mega pixel DSLR. The only grain I see when published with a 10 mega pixel camera in double page landscape format is the "tram" grain of the printing press of around 133 dpi.

Why do I bring all of this up...Pixel Peeping is a total waste of time.

Go out and enjoy your toy and use it to express who and what you are.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/vnx
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4

I guess it's no different than in any other sport or hobby as people get too easily convinced if they only had the latest and greatest in equipment, they too will become an expert.

I have a lot of friends who play golf. Each year many of them buy the latest set of clubs for the upcoming season. Funny, but their game never seems to improve, though.

A camera is a tool. It is only as good as the person that's using it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 2:41 PM   #5

It all comes down to knowing what is needed to perform the task at hand. It is as simple as that. Do I need a screwdriver or a sludge hammer?
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 6:44 PM   #6

I agree its the photographers skill in how to use a camera that makes the great image (although a good camera never hurts)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 6:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjikan View Post
It all comes down to knowing what is needed to perform the task at hand. It is as simple as that. Do I need a screwdriver or a sludge hammer?
Thanks, what you say make a lot of sense unless the luck of the draw lands one with a pixel peeper for an artistic director. None the less the term "sludge hammer" conjures up a lot of images|:-)

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 7:23 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I have a lot of friends who play golf. Each year many of them buy the latest set of clubs for the upcoming season. Funny, but their game never seems to improve, though.
I bought a new set of clubs some years back and my wife happened to be along when I picked them up. Since I was anxious to try them out, I asked if she'd mind if we stopped long enough for me to hit a bucket or two of balls at the range on the way back home. She said OK (and note that she knows nothing about golf).

I went through most of the irons and woods, hooking and slicing a number of balls along the way. Then, we had this conversation (and this is a true story):

Wife: Now I understand!
Me: Understand what, Honey?
Wife: Why you need so many clubs... some clubs make the ball go left, some clubs make the ball go right, and some clubs hit the ball straight ahead

I decided it was time to go home.

Of course, we all know that lower resolution cameras can make photos come out too dark, higher resolution cameras can make photos come out too bright, and cameras with medium resolution can expose correctly, right?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 8:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I bought a new set of clubs some years back and my wife happened to be along when I picked them up. Since I was anxious to try them out, I asked if she'd mind if we stopped long enough for me to hit a bucket or two of balls at the range on the way back home. She said OK (and note that she knows nothing about golf).

I went through most of the irons and woods, hooking and slicing a number of balls along the way. Then, we had this conversation (and this is a true story):

Wife: Now I understand!
Me: Understand what, Honey?
Wife: Why you need so many clubs... some clubs make the ball go left, some clubs make the ball go right, and some clubs hit the ball straight ahead

I decided it was time to go home.

Of course, we all know that lower resolution cameras can make photos come out too dark, higher resolution cameras can make photos come out too bright, and cameras with medium resolution can expose correctly, right?
Jim,

I absolutely love your story. That is hilarious

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 12:00 AM   #10

This is one of the most enjoyable threads I have read in a while. Thanks to all the participants. (Yeah, I don't get out much).

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote