Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Are Manufacturers Going Backwards?

I hope this inspires some discussion.
Recently, many manufacturers are
producing cameras with lower
resolution ( in the 2.0 to 3.2 MP range).
It looks like they would be moving more
toward the 5+ MP range with new
improvements in either zoom range and/or
lack of shutter lag, etc.
Also smaller digicams are being produced-
this is a neat idea, but focal lengths of
lenses remain about the same.
There are at least 7 media cards on the
market...will the industry ever work toward
a standard. The thought here is that if you
purchase a Nikon and later change to an
Olympus, you would have to purchase all
new media cards. Wouldn't sales improve if
one card fit many camera brands?
This is food for thought. Hope we get lots of
people talking on this.
Jack
jacksmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:59 AM   #2

Jack

The market for the lower mp and lower cost cameras is greater than the market for the more expensive camera. It is similar to the auto industry, there are more small cars sold than the high end of the auto market.

I really doubt that we will every see a standard for media cards.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:42 AM   #3

TO Gibsonpd3620: As always you said just what the true problems are today with the dig.cam industry,and the card makers. Even if we dont like what the truth is today.iam glad you said it.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:42 AM   #4

Also, you don't have to replace your media cards if you switch brand cameras. As long as the type of media is compatable, it will work just fine.

I think the economy (which is gaining some jobs but I bet they are at lower wages, and wages in general have stagnated) means that while costs for everyday goods have gone up (at least around here.. gas, food, electricity, oil... things I have to spend on) I have less income to buy things like a camera. So they have to keep the price down.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:49 PM   #5

As I review post over camera help, the trend seems to be which camera can I buy for the least amount of money. I do not recall one post that says I have $5000 in my budget and which camera should I buy. I had wanted the Nikon 5700 since I used one over a year past but the price prevented me from considering the camera. Then 1st part of November, Nikon offered $100 rebate to go with their price reduction on the camera. Now the camera fit into my budget. I really do not look at the DSLR cameras because of the cost. I love the digital camera world but have restraints like so many others. I think that in a few years the prices for the DSLR cameras will have dropped enough to enter that market.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 2:47 PM   #6
csd

I know a number of people who feel 3MP was enough for their needs - there seems to be a large market for it. After all - if you just want casual point-click shooting and are only interested in 4x6's of the kids - without a need for perfection - then this resolution seems fine (I got away with my 2MP camera for 4 years afterall - imagine that.).
What really annoyed me when I shopped for and bought a new camera last month was the media types on the market. I had invested with my last camera in a few CF cards so, unfortunately, the media type ended up weighing into my criteria - sad as that sounds - but it did save me a couple of hundred in having to re-invest in all new media.
(gibsonpd3620 - And I came very close to buying the 5700 due to the $100 rebate - great camera. Ended up going with the A1 though -liked the lay-out just a bit better and the anti-shake. It was a REAL tough decision - especially since I've always liked Nikon - previous digicam was Nikon as is my film SLR. The A1 did cost me a few more buck - Funny how I always adjust my budget upward to fit my desires )
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 3:42 PM   #7

Default Media

"There are at least 7 media cards on the market...will the industry ever work toward a standard. "

I have read a lot of forums and boards, etc.. in the last few weeks, and have seen a few discussions on perhaps all the different media being replaced by "internal media/storage". Cameras would have a built in, or removable (for upgrading), disc drive, or whatever, storage capabilities. With the newer technologies producing smaller sized, but with large capacity (1g and up), drives, etc... it may become an alternative that the camera companies may look at.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 3:57 PM   #8

I was with my 21 year old twin sisters a week or so ago. ALL their friends had digicams. I couldn't even afford food when I was in college...lol..., anyway, college kids are a BIG market for digicams. Most college kids don't have a lot of money, either. Also, I know my grandparents put more money into their 35mm camera and think of the digital one as "fun" or an "extra". Certainly others hold this viewpoint as well.

I wonder what percentage of the population owns a digicam?

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:54 PM   #9
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytude

I wonder what percentage of the population owns a digicam?

Amy
I don't know the answer to this one - but I did hear that they outsold film cameras for the first time last year.

By the way - for students just having fun - you can get 640x480 digicams for pretty much free now. I have seem them advertised for $10 and once saw one for $0 with rebate at CompUSA.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:29 PM   #10

How many 5,6 or 8 megapixels can you need? You can only get so many on a memory card. A 3 MP camera I believe, prints 8 x 10s fairly well. Pretty soon we would have gigapixel cameras with terabyte memory cards. In my opinion, one can only need/use so many megapixels.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote