Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 26, 2011, 5:52 AM   #1

Default Firmware - an idea

With the rise of smart phones etc. running user-written camera apps, who else thinks the time has come for a DSLR with opensource firmware so the user community can develop its own fixes and enhancements.

The *only* stumbling block I can see is that manufacturers might be intentionally crippling the lower-end cameras to protect their higher-end models...
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2011, 6:49 AM   #2

That would require, not just a camera operating system that was extensible, but cameras with more powerful microprocessors, more memory, and larger, touch-sensitive screens.

I have no doubt that someone might develop an app that does something unique, interesting, and desireable, that the manufacturer never thought to include, but that would mean the manufacturer would have to document every function the camera is capable of, so that developers could properly impliment thouse functions.

I think we've got a long way to go before we get there.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 7:13 PM   #3

The other thing that comes to mind is that different manufacturers use internal codes differently. Since I use a Mac, I've got exiftool instead of photome. I look a look at all the fields possible and many of them use the same field to mean different things depending on the manufacturer. It would be a neat idea to add on some little thing that a camera might not otherwise do (geotagging for one) but I seriously doubt it would be possible.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 10:22 PM   #4

I have seen posts regarding hacks of a number of Canon cameras, which add functions, such as Raw, which weren't available from the factory. Maybe other makers as well.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Locking up advanced features in low-end models, is an open secret in the DC industry.

i.e. The hardware is capable of everything that it was designed to offer.

But the software (firmware) could disable some of the functions, so that the DC makers could differentiate higher-end models from those low-end ones.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 1:37 PM   #6

The Canon 300D the first sub $1000 dSLR is an example of that. It was a dumbed down 10D until a guy from Poland did a hack for it. I believe the "Wasia" Hack.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 11:15 AM   #7

I think it is worth noting that some manufacturers can get a tad bit testy when outsiders try to modify their firmware. The Sony PlayStation hacks are the most recent that come to mind.

Sony not only went after the guy that made the hack public but in the end managed to force You Tube to give up the IP addresses of everyone that watched the video of how it was to be done.

My personal feeling is once I have bought it I should be able to do with it as I please but should not be surprised if a manufacturer declines warranty service for a product that has been operated outside of specification.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 12:22 PM   #8

Its nice to think that we could just alter firmware as we pleased. My mind thinks windows and viruses and someone doing an update that crashes your camera every 3rd shutter action. Nice
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 1:21 PM   #9
Super Moderator

It's an interesting idea.
Old May 30, 2011, 1:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
I think it is worth noting that some manufacturers can get a tad bit testy when outsiders try to modify their firmware. The Sony PlayStation hacks are the most recent that come to mind.

Sony not only went after the guy that made the hack public but in the end managed to force You Tube to give up the IP addresses of everyone that watched the video of how it was to be done.

My personal feeling is once I have bought it I should be able to do with it as I please but should not be surprised if a manufacturer declines warranty service for a product that has been operated outside of specification.

Steve
Perhaps by threatening Youtube with launching legal assualts on all the video clips that violate Sony copyrights (a lot)
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote