Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:46 AM   #1

Default Looking to get back into the Hobby...

Hello All,

Iíve been out of photography as a serious Hobby for over ten years now. My father brought me up on photography, and we built a large darkroom in our basement. All through high school I shot school events and sports events for the school paper, and even sometimes small local papers, and did all of the darkroom work myself. Sadly my father was killed in a tragic accident about 13 years ago, and much of my interest in doing the things we had done together faded.

My Life has changed a lot since, and I am looking to get back into the hobby, and considering a Digital Camera, now that Digital SLRís are reaching affordable levels. Although I love the DH2, its way more than I need, but I am seriously considering a D100.

Sorry about the background, but onto the question. I use to do a lot of shooting in black-an-white, and there are subjects that Iíd like to shoot in Black-and-white as well as color. Iím sure this is a dumb question, but do any of the SLR style digitalís shoot black-an-white as well as color? Thanx in advanceÖ
NikonDevotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:19 AM   #2

Default Re: Looking to get back into the Hobby...

One of the dirty secrets of digital is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work with a photo editor. For that reason, I'd suggest that you start by figuring out how to use a photo editor. Shoot a few rolls of film, and have them put onto a CD - that is fairly cheap when done at the time of processing. Also fairly low resolution, but that is just fine for learning how to use a photo editor.

After you have figured out how to use a photo editor, you will have a much better idea of what you want in a camera, you will be ready to use it, there will be more choices, and the prices will have come down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonDevotee
... I use to do a lot of shooting in black-an-white, and there are subjects that Iíd like to shoot in Black-and-white as well as color. Iím sure this is a dumb question, but do any of the SLR style digitalís shoot black-an-white as well as color? Ö
It is better to shoot in color and reduce the image to black/white with your photo editor. That way you can do things like pick only the red chanel (~equiv to shooting with a red filter) instead of letting the camera pick how it is going to do the conversion. With the exception of a few specialized (expensive) cameras, color is built into the camera in terms of the Bayer patern of sensors.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:23 AM   #3

I'm by no means an expert on the DSLR's, but I would guess probably most, if not all would allow you to shoot in B&W, however, I would shoot everything in color and use digital editing software such as Photoshop or Photoshop elements to convert the picture to B&W. With this method you are not limiting yourself to a B&W picuture when if you later decide the shot would have looked better in color. Plus with your digital editing software, there is an unbelievable amount of things you can do with your pictures to improve upon them.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:36 AM   #4

Thanx for the info guys...
NikonDevotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:22 PM   #5

Welcome back to the hobby NikonDevotee!!! I own the D100 and i's a great camera. However, it does not shoot B&W. Like Bill said you have to do that in a photo editor. It's a fairly simple thing to do.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:58 PM   #6

I have both the D100 and the D2H Both are excellant cameras, I started with the D-100 , and got the D2H for low light, fast action in arenas. I still use both equally, When shooting both I use the smaller lenes on the D-100 and the 600mm on the D2H and get very satisfying results. As far as B&W neither camera will shoot in the B&W mode only COLOR!! Post processing is required to change to B&W. Nikon view the software that comes with the cameras will accomplish this (Also sepia) with one click, if you want to get fancy with the conversion to B&W Photo shop is the answer. Good Luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote