Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 30, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Best Photography Guide for Newbie

I am about to make a gift of my current Panasonic G1 to a niece. She's an adult in her 30's but, until now, her entire exposure to photography has been via throw-away film cameras and low-end digicams. This will probably be the first time she's been directly exposed to this kind of camera and image control. She has expressed great interest in my G1 and so, I will be tossing the ball in her court.

So, my question to the best, brightest and most-experienced members of the Steve's family is... after I go over the very basics of photography with her, what might be the best printed reference I can leave with her for when I won't be around (she lives in Virginia, I in New Jersey)?

It might be helpful if the book is digital-specific, even though the basic relationships between aperture, shutter speed and sensitivity of the light-gathering medium don't change. I'm trying to not overwhelm her and, as a result, dampen any enthusiasm she might have now. I am aware of a number of aftermarket G1 guides... but do any also cover the photo basics? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by Biro; May 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2011, 3:28 PM   #2

Understanding Exposure
Old classic, walks you through by examples and exercises to getting the images you see..
Old May 30, 2011, 7:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
So, my question to the best, brightest and most-experienced members of the Steve's family is... after I go over the very basics of photography with her, what might be the best printed reference I can leave with her for when I won't be around (she lives in Virginia, I in New Jersey)?
I don't qualify, but I'd recommend "The Digital Photography Book" series by Kelby.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote