Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Stumped as to which one to go for!

Hi All

I have been looking at buying a New Digital Camera now for months! I am looking at these models:

1. Olympus C750
2. OLympus C5050
3. Fuji S602
4. Fuji S7000 (Not too sure about this one)

Anyway, Any help / advice would be great.
I Don't mind too much if the zoom is only a 3x, i would like a camera that is good with picture quality and is able to be used in man as well as auto.

I will be using it for various settings and subjects. Landscapes, portrait, Macro etc.

My budget is around the cost of the most expensive one above, the S7000. I did consider the new Oly C5060 but a few things have put me off going for that one (I prefer AA batteries being one of them).

The Olympus C750 Tops my list as i have read some great reviews of it from Magazines and from many ordinary folks who own one. Also, it has a good m/pixel figure, Good Zoom, superb quality picture taking, etc etc.

I just need some more input from you lot out there before i actually spend my money!

Thanks in advance
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:39 PM   #2

If 3X zoom is ok for your needs, then the Olympus C5050 would be my pick. Reasons:

Hot shoe
moveable LCD
F1.8 lens ( best optics of the cameras listed)
accepts multiple types of media
photo assist lamp

This camera will produce excellent photos in all lighting conditions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:01 PM   #3

I have the Fuji s602z and really like it except the manual focus is very difficult. It does have a hotshoe. Although I haven't used it. Don't know much about the others--sorry.
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:09 PM   #4

3x zoom is ok but it would be nice to have a larger zoom! I am not too bothered about a camera having the ability to use different memory cards, one type is ok with me. As for hot shoe, they all have one aswell. The lens is very good on the C5050 i know, good for low light shooting.

It is so hard to decide!!!
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:34 PM   #5

My coice of the other cameras would be the S7000. I believe it is an very good camera that you will have room to grow with.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:29 AM   #6

Right, i may now not go for the C750 because of some repetitve problems that have been discussed about the camera i.e Missing / dead pixels, Sloppy lens movement.

The Olympus C5050 is ok but now i want a longer zoom so that leaves that camera out!

That leaves the S602 and the S7000.

S602 has old 3.1m/pixel = Old hat, still a very good digital camera though.
S7000 is very new, large M/Pixel, some people report not very good images (Could this be because of newness of camera and more to learn?)

I have been researching for months!!!

My mate has a Fuji 6900 and the pics are very good indeed.

Back to the drawing board i think. I nearly bought the Olympus C750! The pictures i have seen from it are stunning too!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:46 AM   #7

If you have been researching for months and have not made up your mind you never will! <G>

By the time you think you have made up your mind there will be ten more cameras.

I plumped for ths C750, because of the 10X zoom. I am happy with it. I am sure there are other cameras I could be happy with as well, but it was my price, had a long zoom, and takes very good pictures.

I compared it to the Fuji 6702 and was not impressed with the Fuji's photos, even though the shop was pushing me toward that camera and took all the shots I asked for, from macro to tele.

The lens is a bit sloppy, but apart fomr feeling shoddy, it works.

While the low light is not as good as the 5050, as far as I can tell I am taking shots I never could with any film around 200-400 ASA anyway.

If you want _any_ long shots, remember that the ratio of pixel increase from one sensor to another is sqrted as far as visible pixelation goes. So optical zoom soon outweighs extra pixels.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:50 AM   #8

Oh yeah! And the camera is amazingly small and light for the power. I can carry mine around in my pocket, or a small bumbag., with all cords and a spare set of batteries. That of course would end if I started getting add-on lenses etc <G>
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote