Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:19 AM   #1

Default File sizes

My camera is taking shots at 2048 X 1546 When I upload them to the computer should I be reducing the size. I occasionally want to print the odd picture but the majority are kept on the omputer for viewing. These files are unwieldly and after a 4 week holiday massive

What is the beat size to store at, is there a general rule of thumb and is there a programme that will reduce the size effetively in a batch file?
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:39 AM   #2

There is no way to reduce the size of the fiels deastically without either altering the resolution, or using increased compression, which will cost quality if overdone.

How big _are_ the files when they come from your camera? Are they .jpg or .tif etc?

In the end the best way to do it is to Save As a jpg, then set compression to a pont where you are still happy with them. But do not overwrite the original file until you are happy with the result.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:33 AM   #3

My methodology is as follows:

I copy the pics to their own folder
I make another folder and copy the files there
I work on the files from the second folder
I save my final work.
Once a month I archive off my photos off to DVD

I have been know to do bad editing and then regretted that I do not have the original file. It is better to take some disk storage and be safe. I have found that in at least 60% of my shots, I do no editing at all.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:33 AM   #4

To emphasize what Phil said: Keep a copy of your photos exactly as they came from your camera with no changes of any kind. Those are your digital "negatives", don't mess with them.

CDs are great storage, finding the photos on them can be painfull. I use a simple ASCII shooter's diary with entries of the kind, "2004 Jan 1: aftermath of party at Fred's house. Some shots of fresh snow at the zoo". A copy of the complete diary goes onto each CD. The photos are kept in folders by date so I can use a simple search to locate the folder that contains an image I am looking for.

There are all kinds of systems for keeping track of the photos. I am not arguing against using one of the database systems, but a simple diary is worth having as well.
Instead of reducing the size of the photos to regain disk space, I go through and ruthlessly delete the less than very good photos. If I am going to use my hard drive space, I want it devoted to the best resolution copies of my best shots. Not to a mix of all photos at lower resolution.

Given the prices these days, simply buying a bigger hard drive isn't a silly solution either.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5
lg

Default Re: File sizes

I'll put in a third vote for not altering your originals, for the same reasons already mentioned. I particularly liked BillDrew's idea of a simple ASCII text file on each CD, to keep things simple. While it's easy to organize your hard drive, it's sometimes hard to search through quite a few CD's unless you have a system for locating them. I do the same as Phil, as far as copying the unaltered files to disk, then make a subdirectory entitled "Edited Photos" just beneath the original copy location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colb
...is there a programme that will reduce the size effetively in a batch file?
It's not a batch file, but I use a batch utility for resizing photos that come with Digital Photo Slide Show that meets all my resizing needs.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:02 PM   #6

To assist finding the original images full-size on a CD I set view thubnails under Windows XP. That way the CD comes up looking like a contact sheet print. The CDs I simply label with their start and end dates, the later simply being when the CD is full.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:24 PM   #7

I agree with what everyone else has said about keeping copies of original straight-from camera images. I save all my pictures in folders under the date they were taken, and within those folders I create other folders to save edited version of the images. I back up to CD periodically.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:25 AM   #8

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your help and opinions, I am much clearter about what to do now
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:40 AM   #9

Graham, How do you set the thumbnails on XP.

Thanks, Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:11 AM   #10

Not only do I make a copy to edit, I set the original as "read only" so I don't accidentally write over it.
Michael Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote