Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Help me pick a photo printer.

I would like to have indidvidual ink tanks and the best ink for pitchers to last for many, many years. Don't want one tank because if one color runs and others don't I would have to go and buy another cartridge. Would be a waste of money. What is the best brand? Price range 100.00-170.00. This printer will be used at home only. 8)
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

May have to pay a bit more,But the Canon S9000 is great printer. Software is really good. And you can go up to 13x19 and smaller sizes borderless.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:11 PM   #3

Cowboy what do you think of the HP 7760?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:03 PM   #4

Well I have had a couple of the Hp printers (7300 and the 7350) I am not familiar with the 7760, if it has individual Ink tanks or not. I was happy with the HP quality untill I went with Cannon A BIG DIFFERENCE!! And since I sell my pics that was important. HP'S custmer support is is very very good (if you have problems with the printer they will bend over backwards to get you a new one)I was impressed with that, but I had problems with the printers none the less. The Canon has worked flaulessly and is cheaper on ink, goes farther, and the Canon paper Pro is great paper. I will only assume the 7760 is a newer model and is probobly a fine printer . But I think the Canon S9000 is still $299 and I may be wrong ,it is well worth the extra, you will save it on Ink. Individual Ink cartridges are about $10 to $13 and there are 6 of them. Good Luck.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 5:46 AM   #5

I've just pulled apart an older Epson Stylus 1500 printer to replace a print head. Just getting inside the box was a chore. Then I discovered where all the ink goes (wasted) every time it's switched on or cleaned.

At the moment I have a workbench rather like service shops for washing machines (if you've ever tried fixing the drum on one!). These printers are not 'built for life' and I'm amazed they work at all. There are so many plastic/rubber bits and pieces! My usage is very infrequent and I know that's my problem. But I worked out ages ago with real (permanent!) photo prints coming down in price online and shop with 24 hour service, that's the way to go for more than a couple of prints. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:06 PM   #6

I just bought a Canon i560 two weeks ago & I'm more than happy with it. It was $99 at Best Buy (after rebates of course). If you are looking for a printer in the under $150 price range take a good look at this one. It is multifunctional & has some nice capabilities for a printer of this price. Also has individual ink tanks.
Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:40 AM   #7
-jb

Check out Epson's new Stylus Photo R300 printer. It does everything you want and only costs $171 at Buy.com.

Steve just posted a review of the R300M in his News section. The "M" version has a monitor and costs about $40 more that the R300...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:18 PM   #8

I made the choice for now to get the Canon i960.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:21 PM   #9

I think you made a very good choice. My HP5550 were to break that would be my replacement choice.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:27 PM   #10

Everybody thanks for the help and to make a choice.