Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
You should also consider the weight, @ over 2lb, the F828 is not any lighter than a Digital Rebel with some pretty hefty wide aperture optics, but it certainly is more convenient to not have to carry interchangeable lenses around!

I see you have a few Cannon's and a Nikon ......

What is your opinion of the three choices I have in my list in those two.

Is there a problem with the Nikon I am not aware of ? No one seems to be picking that as a choice .

Is that camera just to Pro caliber for an amatuer like me that just aspires to be of semi pro caliber ?

Thanks
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:00 PM   #12
NHL

... The way I see it is that you have two options:
1. dSLRs for flexibility and speed, and here you have the Digital Rebel (lower cost), or the 10D/D100 (higher cost but more control) which are close competitors. You can't go wrong either way.
2. An all in one camera with no worry about carrying extra lenses or dust contamination and the A1 probably fits the bill better here because of its weight and and features (also lowest cost). 8)

The F828 straddles both categories and tries to be too many things while it doesn't excell at either! I'm not in the same boat as you but for a second camera, I rather have the A1 for its portability (ie the lightest of all the above). Beside the Minolta also have an excellent wireless master/slaves flash system similar to the Canon's that Sony doesn't offer yet (or its innovative Image Stabilized CCD)! :P

I wouldn't worry too much about resolution since I regularly do 11x14 or 12x18 with my 5Mp D7... Also don't be turned off by noise (both in the F828 and A1), it's actually good in print and is perceived as better resolution (ie sometime I have to add noise to my 10D enlargements!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:24 AM   #13

I miss one thing in your starting message:

What and where do you use your camera most for?

Are you pepared to pay for the added flexibilty of an SLR system, both in price and in transportability? (this is what i carry, see my sig for details , my system costed something close to 5000 euro, but that includes some expensive wide aperture f/2.8 and f/1.8 lenses, 2.5 GB of CF memory, and the 10D). The weight? I expect it to be somewhere in the 5 to 6 kilo region.

A (D-)SLR is the most flexible of your list, and if you choose a DSLR whether it be a DRebel, a 10D or a D100, all three of them will do a superb job whatever you want to photograph, als long as you are prepared to spend for the right lenses for the job, and invest the time to learn how the camera works.

Offcourse there are differences between the 3, in price, and function, but in image quality all 3 are fine camera's. The 300D is by far the cheapest of the three, but has some limitations the other 2 don't have, like a smaller, en slower burst, a lighter less rigid body. If these limitations are a problem i can't decide for you, but for me, interested in sports photography, i needed the faster and longer burst of the 10D, and i liked the way the 10D with a heavy zoom lens felt, better than the 300D.

But in the end it all comes down to you what do you want?
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:20 AM   #14

Thanks for the replies !

I've been thinking about this for a while and what I really want is

1. High quality photos that I don't have to worry about blowing up to poster size.

2. as few limitations as possible .

3. the ability to take portraits or out door wide angle shots

4. ability to take sports & action photos .

5. Night shots and special effects

I thought the Sony F828 would fit the bill for an amatuer like me who wants to be something more , but the more I think about it , it fails my #2 criteria right off to bat and is marginal for #1 .

When I set my mind to task , learning to really use an SLR and all it's special functions doesn't worry me at all so I won't need to get the book "photography for dummies" or some such and hope I ever use it's features.

Being that I do not own any lenses yet for either brand , I'm pretty much free to do whatever in regards to choice.

Right now I'm really leaning towards the Nikon D100 for some reason that I cannot fully put my finger on over the Canon 10D . ( I added the Canon 10 D to my list and removed the Rebel . I am particular about quality construction and decided if I was going to SLR I want a metal bodied camera)

Sadly the 10D seems harder to get right now and as of yet I haven't even been able to hold one though I imagine it to be "Rebel/300D like" but with a little more heft and solid feel to it.

I notice the Nikon brand lenses seem to be less abundant than that of Canon ones and cost seems to be very slightly higher.

Right now it looks like I'm Nikon bound
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:32 PM   #15

I would ask about the comparative virtues of the cameras on the dpreview Canon and Nikon DSLR forums. Search through the posts first as the same question has probably been asked a hundred times.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:48 AM   #16

Yes I will , thanks ... but at this point I'm pretty solid on the Nikon having tried the others the past few days and simply finding the Nikon to be so far and away superior in every facet of shooting.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetreTG
ability to take sports & action
The 10D has a larger buffer than the D100 (about 10 shots in RAW as oposed to 4). So you may find you've got a limitation there.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:29 AM   #18

I've read though that it's ability to write is so fast that in actuality it can take 25 pics in 30 seconds as opposed to about (if memory serves me correctly) 14-6 with the Canon 10D. This I believe were the figures in Jpeg but I'm not positive about that.

Having tried this with the D100 it most certainly seems to be true .

It might only burst for 4 pics , but recovers so quickly .... is it actually a factor in most cases ?

I see you have a D100 .... what are your criticisms of it ? Are you happy with it overall ?

THanks
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:32 AM   #19

Hey ... checklg ... also ... I've heard the 10D was discontinued and truth be told ... I tried to get my hands on one and cannot find one anywhere.

Do you know anything about this ?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:52 AM   #20

I'm very happy with my D100 and would heartily recommend it. The buffer limitation is only an occasional problem in RAW when I'm trying to get a photo of a fast moving subject, such as a bird feeding. I may only be taking single shots, but I'm taking a lot as the bird twists and turns.

Availibility of 10D ? I'm afraid I don't know.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote