Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:19 PM   #1

Default So here I was, all ready to buy Sony's F828/Choices help plz

I'm not a pro photographer , just an amatueur with a Sony S85 4mp which I've grown to like quite a bit.

Playing around with that camera and a few 35mm camera's that I have , I've gotten pretty good at taking pictures (so I'm told) and decided I needed something better than the S85 as I'd like to make a SERIOUS hobby of it.

I look at the deals on the F717 and I'm tempted , but something about it I just don't like . I read about Sony coming out with the next revolution in ease of use cameras the F828 and think ..... THAT'S THE ONE! Looks like it's going to be awesome!

Then the reviews hit and it sounds like the hopes just didn't equal the final product.

I've held and played with it and the feel is excellent . Very solid and well built . But what good is that if it's picture taking is so limited ? My guess is with all the criticism , this Sony's price and value is going to drop like a rock the minute the inevitable happens and Sony announces they have a new and improved camera to the 828 that fixes all the problems of this first iteration.

Well ..... I don't have the patience to wait for Sony to get it right , but I'm not positive that the camera is all that bad either (Though every review I've read yet seems to find the same problems , so I'm pretty sure it's not wrong.

Here are my choices right now ...... (In no particular order)

==========================

Sony F828 (with it's one IMO phenomenal 28-200 Carl ZeissT* Lens)

$999.99

Cannon EOS - D300 / Rebel Digital SLR (They are one and the same right ?) Package with 2 Lenses

Canon Brand EF-S 18-55mm Lens
Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
Lens Construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
Diagonal Angle of View: 75-degrees 20' - 27degrees 50'
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with MM
Closest Focusing Distance: 0.28m / 0.92 ft. to infinity
Zoom System: Rotating Type
Filter Size: 58mm

Quantaray Brand 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 High Speed Zoom for EOS Canon

Focal Length: 70-300mm
Focus Type: Auto
Aperture Type: Automatic / Variable
Aperture Range: F4 - 22 (70mm) F5.6 - 32 (300mm)
Optical Construction: 13 Elements in 9 Groups
Minimum Focus: 37.4"
Macro: Yes (1:2)
Filter Size: 62mm

$1199.99

Cannon EOS - D300 / Rebel Digital SLR Kit with 2 lenses

Sigma BRAND 28-80mm Autofocus Lens
Mount: Canon EF
Lens Constructions: 7 Groups 7 Elements
Angle of View (Diagonal): 75.4 degrees -30.3 degrees
Minimum Aperture: f22
Minimum Focusing Distance: 19-inches (9.8-inches Macro) / .5m (.25m Macro)
Magnifications: 1:5.4 (1:2 Macro):
Filter Size: 55

Sigma BRAND 70-300mm Autofocus Lens
Mount: Canon EF
Lens Constructions: 10 Groups 14 Elements
Angle of View: 34.3 degrees -8.2 degrees
Number of blades in diaphragm: 9
Minimum Aperture: f22-32
Minimum Focusing Distance: 150cm / 59.1in (Macro 95cm / 37.4in)
Magnifications: 1:4 ( 1:2 Macro)
Filter Size: 58mm

$1129.94

Minolta Dimage A1 (Looks like it might be superior in many ways to the Sony and Image Stabilizer to boot)

$899.99

Nikon D100 Digital SLR Package with 2 Lenses

Sigma brand
- 28-80mm Autofocus Lens
- Lens Constructions: 7 Groups 7 Elements
- Angle of View (Diagonal): 75.4 degrees -30.3 degrees
- Minimum Aperture: f22
-Minimum Focusing Distance: 19-inches (9.8-inches Macro) / .5m (.25m Macro)
- Magnifications: 1:5.4 (1:2 Macro):
- Filter Size: 55

Sigma brand
- 70-300mm Autofocus Lens
- Lens Constructions: 10 Groups 14 Elements
- Angle of View: 34.3 degrees -8.2 degrees
- Number of blades in diaphragm: 9
- Minimum Aperture: f22-32

$1729.95
===========================

So what do you all think ....... What's best for my needs ?

I'm thinking SLR may be the way to go but not sure I want the hassle of carrying and changing lenses.

The Sony WAS high on my list because I have faith in the quality of Sony products after using the S85 for a couple years as well as owning a fairly high end Sony Digital Camcorder and I have extra batteries and Sony storage media (As well as the Sony software on my computer)

But I'm thinking this is mnot a big enough reason to stick with what appears to be a Sony debacle in the F828.

Any help or just a choice and why is apreciated.

A Reason for or against jumping to SLR would also be appreciated .

THANKS
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:39 PM   #2

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

I've got a 717 for instance, and it is a fine camera. I didn't wait for the 828 because

a) I don't need 8 MP
b) It wasn't under 700 bucks

However, if you are in the price range of 0-1300 bucks, then I would suggest going with the Canon Digital Rebel. However, plan on spending some more money for lenses. Also, if your a amateur, I would suggest going with the 828. But that's just my opinion. :lol:
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:01 PM   #3

I am not ready to go the dslr because I do not want carry the extra lens and budget restraints. I believe that the A1 is the best bang for the buck in the camera you listed. All the digital cameras will have weakness and strengths. You will learn to adjust your shooting habits or correct with a digital lab. The perfect camera has not been built nor will it be built in the future.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:06 PM   #4

The 717 was the camera that I was planning on moving up to from my Oly, but in the end analysis, I determined that I really wanted a wide (28mm) short lens along with a decent (200 -ish) long lens.

5 Mpix is sufficient resolution for my use.

Also, I really wanted an all-in-one camera, thus the drebel was not on my radar screen.

For my needs, the 828 and the A1 are about on par with each other--folks with different needs may have different opinions. I opted for the A1 pretty much based on out-the-door price. The 828 is too new on the shelf and the street price is therefore still too high for me. The A1 has matured for a while and is now being sold in the $700-$800 range--at this price it was definitely the best value for me.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 1:09 AM   #5

What bad reviews? Most of the reviews I've read of the new Sony say it's pretty sweet.

If you get the Digital Rebel, go with the one that includes the Canon lens.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix
It all depends on what you want to do with it.

I've got a 717 for instance, and it is a fine camera. I didn't wait for the 828 because

a) I don't need 8 MP
b) It wasn't under 700 bucks

However, if you are in the price range of 0-1300 bucks, then I would suggest going with the Canon Digital Rebel. However, plan on spending some more money for lenses. Also, if your a amateur, I would suggest going with the 828. But that's just my opinion. :lol:

Yes I am an amatuer , but I want to turn this into a serious hobby . So I guess you can say I am interested in buying for the future into a camera that I won't grow out of any time soon that will give me the versatility of whatever type of photography I decide to do.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I am not ready to go the dslr because I do not want carry the extra lens and budget restraints. I believe that the A1 is the best bang for the buck in the camera you listed. All the digital cameras will have weakness and strengths. You will learn to adjust your shooting habits or correct with a digital lab. The perfect camera has not been built nor will it be built in the future.
Thanks for the response gibsonpd3620 ..... this is the type of response I was hoping for.

I thought that about the A1 as well as it looks to be a fine and matured camera that has gotten very decent reviews.

Any thoughts on my priciest choice ? The Nikon D100 ? I am thus far suprised that no one ios picking it as the clear winner as in my mind , it seemed to be from reviews I've read the clear winner at a premium of course .... but one I'm prepared to pay.

Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:29 AM   #8
NHL

You should also consider the weight, @ over 2lb, the F828 is not any lighter than a Digital Rebel with some pretty hefty wide aperture optics, but it certainly is more convenient to not have to carry interchangeable lenses around!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz
The 717 was the camera that I was planning on moving up to from my Oly, but in the end analysis, I determined that I really wanted a wide (28mm) short lens along with a decent (200 -ish) long lens.

5 Mpix is sufficient resolution for my use.

Also, I really wanted an all-in-one camera, thus the drebel was not on my radar screen.

For my needs, the 828 and the A1 are about on par with each other--folks with different needs may have different opinions. I opted for the A1 pretty much based on out-the-door price. The 828 is too new on the shelf and the street price is therefore still too high for me. The A1 has matured for a while and is now being sold in the $700-$800 range--at this price it was definitely the best value for me.
I agree Jawz ... The A1 looks like the best of the all in ones thus far and as I said above .. I think it's the most matured / refined thus a little more trust worthy .

I am curious , thus far what has your overall experience been with the camera ? Is it what you'd hoped for or are there any regrets . Has it been capable in all areas or has it let you down in any where a camera with interchangable lenses would have come in handy ?

Thanks
I am curious , thus far what has your overall experience been with the camera ?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Viper
What bad reviews? Most of the reviews I've read of the new Sony say it's pretty sweet.

If you get the Digital Rebel, go with the one that includes the Canon lens.

I've scoured the internet for objective reviews on this camera , including the one on this site.

Almost all seem to be in agreement that this camera (Sony F828) is a bit of a let down in it's picture quality . I've read extremes of course , but all seem to agree ...... it's only good to iso 100 , has probelems with chromatic abberations , noise , RAW is all but useless (seemingly put their more for marketing purpose than anything) , small buffer , tiny CCD that possibly causes the image problems and more .

I was VERY prepared to by this camera , but IMO Sony dropped the ball . They went for numbers and eye candy in place of a quality picture. 8 megapixels is useless if it takes a poor picture full of flaws.

I want the ability to blow up pictures to poster sizes , and from what I can tell , that will not be possible with this cameras picture taking qualities.

To say the least I am very disappointed . I had the local photoshop call me when one came in and found the build quality to be excellent . Feel of the camera is also very good and I have not been disappointed in my lowly Sony S85 for everyday picture taking , but I want a serious step up and I'm afraid Sony's F828 is no longer it.