Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:57 PM   #11

This is normally only an issue with the built-in flash. A hotshoe mounted unit is almost always high enough not to be a problem. If you use bounce flash, I can't imagine a shadow showing.
I do often use the hood indoors, and haven't found it to be a problem. It is also useful for prodding recalcitrant drunks who are in the way of my shots.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:17 AM   #12

I feel lens hoods are an integral part of the lens design.

They are an external baffle that stops errant light that is not directed at the sensor, from entering the lens, bouncing around, and as a result reducing your contrast or causing flare.
Every lens has one that has been custom designed to match its angle of views, yes the hoods for zooms are a compromise to be able to handle all the possible focal lengths.

They as mentioned also do offer protection, my use of lens hoods is 100% my use of uv filters is nil.

As for the flash, one of the best things you can do for your flash photography is get the flash up and away from the camera (AKA, Off camera flash).
Either using a Off camera shoe cord, radio triggers (PocketWizards, RadioPoppers), or even the semi reliable, demon infested optical triggering like the canon ettl2 system (Canon st-e2). or nikon cls system.

Unfortunately all decent off camera flash options are on the expensive side.

On-axis light to your lens from the built in popup flash produces some astoundingly horrible lighting.
The shoe mounted units are a bit better but not by much, they can throw some nasty shadows from objects in your image if you are not careful.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 26, 2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: fixin da spellen
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:55 PM   #13

G'day Outhouse + others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
When should one use or not use a lens hood?
Your Q is a vital one for us all, and maybe the following will help...

The first pair of images is shooting towards the sun, lens on 3x zoom [about 50mm in dslr terms], the second image is at 1x [18mm] - the dark triangle at the top rhs is my hat, being held in front of the camera to do the job of the lens hood 'cos I was 'caught-short' on this day out side

Any shooting towards [ie- not quite into] the sun can get stray light hitting the front of the lens and bouncing around causing 'lens refractions'. The other style of image degridation is in the 2nd image-pair - where very fine water spray is being picked up in the sunlight and degrading the image that way

Hpe this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:42 AM   #14

Ozzie, that is brilliant! I never use my hoods but now I will as you have shown what a difference they (or a hat!) can make.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:48 PM   #15

G'day all

While we're on the topic of lens hoods, EVERY lens hood that I've seen for zoom lenses is only designed for effective use at the short-end of the zoom range
When we ultra-zoom 'togs go out to play, once we're over about 6x zoom, the hood really starts to lose out, and over 10x it almost becomes useless when shooting anywhere close to the sun or a bright object

I have made up my own lens hood for use on the FZ28 & FZ35 when we're zoomed out over 8x [about 200mm eq] ... here it is

Made from a plastic drinking glass, 15cm [6inches] long
where the bottom has been removed and the metal thread from an old 55mm UV filter glued on via epoxy. Then the whole item was painted with non-reflective blackboard paint

Hope this helps ,,,
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote