Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:59 PM   #11

If you are submitting images straight from the camera you would get no improvement at all converting them to TIFF. But if you open the image in Photoshop and make any adjustments at all make sure to “Save as” TIFF, also keeping the original.

The 72 PPI makes no difference unless you check “Resample” and leave the low resolution while resizing the image. The best way to crop in Photoshop is to select the crop tool and set say 10 inches in the width and 8 in height with NOTHING in the resolution box. That way it preserves all of the available pixels left after resizing. It will then show the proper PPI if you check in Image>Image size. If you are submitting to a pro lab and they say you do best to submit at 300PPI you can set that in the resolution box when you crop or resample to 300 PPI. I find I do best printing on my photo printer to leave the resulting PPI if it is higher than about 150 PPI, but I would probably follow the labs recommendations if I were using a pro lab.

I profile my printer for the paper and ink but that is the lab’s job if you are having them printed. A pro lab will likely get them right for you. I think your best bet for color is to just set Photoshop for Adobe RGB and let the lab handle the color.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:06 PM   #12

I am just curious as to why people worry so much about resolution and image size when sending images for pro printing. When I take mine to the nearest Walgreens for printing in their Fuji Frontier mini-lab I print them right as they come from the camera (mine shoots at 3:2) and they always come out right. Nearly all I print are 6x4 and I only worry about size and all when printing other sizes.

Same thing with online services. I once sent a batch of pictures to Snapfish straight from the camera and they all came out prefectly.

I never worry about resolution or even image size, just aspect ratio if not printing 6x4.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:34 PM   #13

luisr

You don't mention what camera you use. What do you have? Resolution will matter if you don't have enough, but doesn't mater if you do.

I do agree, though. If you have the wrong aspect ration, you are in trouble.

voxmagna

When you say "However, often the profile is a default and these places may have several printers." do you mean DryCreek's profiles, or the one you get when asking? I've read many good things about DryCreek's profiles over at dpreview, so they aren't all the default.... or I'd expect more bad opinions.

But having multiple printers is a serious problem. That I can fully appreciate. Some use different printers for different size prints, but I bet they also might use diff printers depending on how many print jobs they have waiting.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
luisr

You don't mention what camera you use. What do you have? Resolution will matter if you don't have enough, but doesn't mater if you do.
Well, mine is 3.1 MP which is said to be good enough for 11x14. Never tried that size but I do know that 8x10 comes out very good.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:53 PM   #15

I use a FIJI film 3800 3.24 Mega pixel

illl be getting a Digi Rebel soon
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote