Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:15 AM   #1

Default submiting to a pro printer

Hi, i need a little input, I shot afriends wedding using my Fuji 3800, i used it best resolution which save the file as a 2048x1536 pixel image in JPG format, when i submit this to a pro lab to print they suggest to save them as a tiff file at 300 DPI.

Can you guys help me point out the best solution or route to this.
Can i improve the quality of the photos doing this?
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:46 AM   #2

Likely or not the pro printer will be a Fuji Frontier lab printer or sometimes a Kodak at 400dpi. These printers take whatever you send them and re-scale internally to the equivalent of 300dpi. The risk of doing this yourself and being a pixel or 2 out is their machine does a second resize. If your capture format is already a JPEG, there is probably only a small benefit in saving as a TIFF after adjustment and re-size - if their printer will accept TIFF files. But these are big files and won't send quickly to internet services. You'd only burn about 40 image files on a CD. For a 6X4 print, re-saving as a JPEG but with high quality slightly larger file size should be good enough.

If you think sharpness is the issue for you, then there is much more mileage in using unsharp mask, brightness and contrast level tools than worrying too much about avoiding a second JPEG save after editing.

This is what I do: First your prints will probably be 6X4 so the most important thing you can do is crop them to suit - otherwise you may not like their choice. So choose the best crop position and crop a copy of your camera file to 2048 X 1365. Do any sharpness and level adjustment. Then save as a JPEG with the quality setting producing an output file size 10-20% larger than the original JPEG camera file. Or save as TIFF, but try a sample pic with both formats as I doubt if you will see a difference at this print size.

If you are considering using a lab service for a large batch of prints, I suggest you apply any crops and adjustment to a couple of images and wait 'till they come back before trying the same 'recipe' on the rest. If you're monitor is not showing similar colour to the prints, you can sort this without wasting too much money. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3

thanks for the reply, ill be printing a couple of 8x10, 5x7 and lots of 4x6

also whywhen i open a file on Ps 7 it opens them at 72dpi? how can i avoid this
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:53 PM   #4

If they do use a Fuji Frontier printer, then I have a question for you. Do you understand Color Management and Color Profiling? Do you know what an ICC Color Profile is?

If the answer is yes then check out this web site:
www.drycreekphoto.com

They offer ICC profiles for most walmarts and CostCo's in the entire US, for free. Both of those companies use Frontier printers. They might have profiles for other big labs too. Heck, if that lab is large, you might be able to ask them for a profile. I know if I ran a lab, I'd offer profiles.

That should solve all the color difference problems.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:29 AM   #5
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleniumdesigns
also whywhen i open a file on Ps 7 it opens them at 72dpi? how can i avoid this
PhotoShop defaults to 72. Go into Image Size and change it to what you want... make sure Resample Image is turned off...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:54 AM   #6

eric S.......I've had the Frontier profiles for a while now. However, often the profile is a default and these places may have several printers. They are supposed to do a calibration check at regular intervals. So I'm not sure if having a default profile gives you a match to the actual printer used for your prints when the batch was run.

Personally I've found that ICC profiles become more important once you are sure there are no obvious monitor discrepancies. My print firm will supply a printed target on Fuji Crystal paper you are supposed to hold up alongside your monitor - but I've yet to get hold of the image file for the target, so it seems a bit useless. VOX
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:28 AM   #7

I agree, if it's the default then that doesn't really help. Pity. It sounded like such a great idea. I am a bit surprised they'd have multiple Frontiers, as I thought they were every expensive. But then again, these are big companies.. they could afford it.

Unlike you (I believe) I don't do serious print jobs (my DeskJet 722C is doing an acceptable job right now.) But if I were selling my prints (either contract or direct) I'd want to profile my monitor and the printer (lab or otherwise.) A watched a semi-Pro friend of mine make printouts at 3 different locations (one placed used a Frontier, I believe) and none of them matched the original. So he took the one that looked best and went with it. That would drive me nuts.

Eric
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:59 AM   #8

So far I've had reasonable consistency from 3 places. The only thing I don't like is what seems to be the Fuji bright oversaturated look. A Minolta cam I have gives much more realistic colours on a monitor. I've found if I reduce colour saturation, my Fuji pics can look like my Minolta pics on a monitor. But when they get printed on Fuji paper they come back looking like Fuji Pics again. I strip the Exif deliberately 'cos I heard if no Exif or a PS header, the printers won't auto correct - but I'm not sure now. Guess I'll have to send in some test colour and greyscales next time to find out what they are up to. VOX
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:53 AM   #9

Ill call today to see what machine theyus,myprints are always on Kodak Professional paper

I dont think that for a while i can afford a calibration tool for the monitor, soit will be a trial and error basis for me
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:38 PM   #10

I can't afford calibration tools either, so I appreciate your situation.

Monitor ones aren't that expensive (but not cheap either.) But the ones that can profile printouts are very expensive. Some day, when it really matters... I do it. But until then, it's guess and reprint.

Eric