Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1
kex

Default Should I go get a dSLR or something in between first?

Hi.

I'd like to buy a new cam this year. I guess in summer.

At the moment I got a Canon A60. I read a lot of camera reviews on steves-digicams.com and I'm really not sure what I should get.
I thought about getting a Canon Digital Rebel or something equal (I guess there will be more cams like that this summer).
But I also liked cams like the Olympus C5050 or Canon G5, Fuju S602, S5000 and so on.
I read it's hard taking snapshots with a dSLR cam, but that I could get better pics, plus I have the opportunity to use different lenses.

But do you think this step is too big and I should get a C5050 or something similar first?
I just want to have something that lasts some years. What do you think?
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:38 PM   #2

Get the DSLR, why not get the camera you will end up with anyway? and save some money. Once you study and I mean study the manual It will be like an extension of your arm. I can have my Nikons ready to fire in just a few seconds. and the results are outstanding, Its Kinda like buying a truck to pull a trailer do I buy a gas engine and I may have enough power to pull, or do I go Diesel and pay a little more and I know that I have enough power. and be satisfied I got the right equiptment.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 1:06 PM   #3
kex

okay. thanks for your opinion. that's what I thought, too.
So I'll have to save some more money and get a dSLR. I guess that's something that lasts longer.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:30 PM   #4

Hi Kex

I agree on purchasing a DLSR instead of i.e. a C5050. There really is no competition between these too. Save you money.

See ya!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:47 PM   #5

My .02: Go with the DSLR. I bought a fuji 602 because I didn't want to spend the money on DSLR. I very much regret that now. I was afraid I wouldn't like digital and go back to film. No chance of that now that I have one. It's going to take me awhile to save up enough for a DSLR, but worth the wait!
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 4:18 PM   #6
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
So I'll have to save some more money and get a dSLR. I guess that's something that lasts longer.
Not sure how much longer a dSLR will last over a prosumer type digicam. In the case of film cameras I would say - definitely go for the SLR. But in this case - the technology is changing so fast. If you don't think you'll expand the camera for a couple of years - consider going with a prosumer type camera (Nikon 5700, Minolta A1, etc.) and then get the dSLR when your ready (at which point the technology will have improved). If you think you'll be wanting to swap lenses, etc. right away - then I'd go with the dSLR.
Just my opinion (recently went through the debate myself...)
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:59 PM   #7

While I generally thing that a DSLR is better, it isn't better for everyone. What will you use the camera for? What types of pictures will you take? How much money are you willing to spend? A DSLR is a system and they aren't cheap (although not everything has to be purchased at once.)

For example, DSLRs have the huge down size of being heavy and large. If size or weight matters, then you might not want a DSLR.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:38 AM   #8
kex

thanks for your advices.

@eric s:

The main things I want to photograph are macros, landscapes, people and some action shots.

What I'm willing to spend? Well I'll save the money I will need. I guess about $1000 should be good for a starter set, such as the DRebel or something equal at the time I buy it.
I can still buy some more lenses and filters afterwards, and I think weight won't be a problem for me.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
thanks for your advices.

@eric s:

The main things I want to photograph are macros, landscapes, people and some action shots.

What I'm willing to spend? Well I'll save the money I will need. I guess about $1000 should be good for a starter set, such as the DRebel or something equal at the time I buy it.
I can still buy some more lenses and filters afterwards, and I think weight won't be a problem for me.
1000$ isn't much for a DSLR system, even for starters.

- rebel with kit lens: $989.00 The kit lens is good enough for starters, and the 18mm WA is nice for landscapes
- Lens: Canon - 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II/III USM EF $269.00 - A not to expensive zoom lens for sports, i chose the slightly more expensive USM version for faster focussing
- Memory: 256 MB CF card $75.00 - 256 is the bare minimum, 512 MB would be better($150)
- Bag: $50 minimum - You need a good bag, with a bit of room to grow, to protect your investment

This is the minimum, in my humble opinion, what you'll need if you want to buy the DRebel, making a total of $1383.

Optional extra's
- lot of slr owners put UV filters on their lenses to protect them from scratches and dirt. UV's are easy and relatively cheap to replace. ($20-$50 for both lenses)
- external flash ($???.??)
- spare battery ($40+)
- Lens Hood ($??)

With the extra's, 1500 dollar is the minimum. Past this point, the sky is the limit, faster, larger better lenses, more memory. you want it, you can have it
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:42 AM   #10

KEX

I concur with the thought of buying the DSLR first. That is where you want to go and an intermediate step would be a waste of money and time.

PMA will introduce some new models which should increase competition and reduce prices. If you can wait, then I would wait til after February.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote