Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:12 AM   #1

Default Mirrorless vs. Entry-level dSLR

1. What's the major difference between the two ?
2. Which one do you prefer/think is better ?
3. Do mirrorless cameras spell the death of dSLRs ?

Thanks...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post

Thanks...
Hi,

1: The mirrorless cameras do not have a mirror and the conventional dslr does
This allows the mirrorless cameras to be significantly smaller. The lenses are also smaller. So, for those people looking for better image quality than currently is found from point and shoot cameras, this is a major step forward and a good alternative.

2. Depends on the type of photography your into. If your a P&S person that wants better photos but doesn't want to get involved in the complexities of a dslr, than this is a great alternative. If your interests are more towards fast action, sports, birding or nature, you would be better served with a dslr.

3. At this point, no, just another alternative. But, with improvements to electronic viewfinders, more lens offerings, and faster AF performance
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see full frame and APC sized cameras becoming a bit of a niche market.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:46 AM   #3

heres my take
1 as the name says they are mirrorless no optical view finder so they can physically smaller.

2 prefer DSLR and think that it is the better camera

3 no i dont think they spell the end at this point in time or in the furture the DSLR will live on it a time proven piece of kit
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrorl...le-lens_camera

1. DSLR are larger have a mirror box/mechanism and a real shutter.
2. DSLR
3. No, not even close. It might step in and take a piece of the entry level DSLRs pie.
It also might take a piece of the point&shoot market
It is why they are also called bridge cameras, a stepping stone between point&shoots and the DSLR world.

The mirrorless bodies fit in about the same place the old film rangefinder cameras did in the old days.

Quote:

Thanks...
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Mirrorless cameras have no mirror box or pentaprism (or pentamirror), so they're smaller, lighter, and less expensive. They also have no optical viewfinder.

Quote:
DSLRs. The greater selection of lenses and accessories, plus the optical viewfinder, make a dSLR more useful and more customizable.

Quote:
No. At best, mirrorless cameras are a variation on a theme.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Mirrorless is different, with some advantages and disadvantages.

Don't forget the Leica M9 is a mirrorless FF camera and has incredible lenses - far better than anything you can get from Canon or Nikon. However, it is far less versatile than a DSLR, is very expensive, has no auto-focus, etc.

For my purposes mirrorless cameras are much better; since I got my Fuji X100 I have hardly used my Canon 5DMk2 at all, and I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of all my DSLR equipment. If I could comfortably afford a Leica M9 I would definitely have no use for a DSLR.

Many of the new mirrorless cameras have image quality which equals or exceeds that from a DSLR. But they are not good for everything; the DSLR is still king for versatility.

Will they replace them? Maybe eventually, but not for the next few years, and it will be a gradual erosion of market share. The biggest weakness they have had is relatively poor auto-focus, but Olympus are claiming their new AF system is as good as a pro-level DSLR. I would be surprised if that were true, but the gap must be closing for them to be making such bold claims!

There is no question that they are selling well and taking some market share which might otherwise go to DSLR sales.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jun 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:37 PM   #7

If you shoot action, the dslr is the better option the a mirrorless. That the major difference. The refresh rate will be a issue for the evf or lcd screen. And the AF is faster with the newer mirrorless. But still not like a sport dslr with a sport oriented lens.

The DSLR is not going to go away anytime soon. The is just not the lens option for action or the full dslr ability for action shooting.

Having both format. I like the mirrorless to travel and run around with, the dslr when I need action or shooting in very demanding situation with the right lens.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:25 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for your honest opinion...

So from what I understand, the differences between these two cameras are quite minimal:
- mirrorless cams are smaller and lighter, thus more portable
- mirrorless cams only have an electronic viewfinder, with a slower AF system, making it a bad choice for action and sports photographers

So except for the mirror and fast AF, the rest of the features of a DSLR are still there: good performance, manual controls and of course excellent image quality.

I'm really interested in the new Sony NEX-C3...still, I was wondering if maybe I should buy the Alpha-35 instead, same price as the NEX.
But since I assume there's no difference in image quality, I think I'll go with the mirrorless...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:10 PM   #9
Administrator

Just to confuse you, the Sony A33, A35, and A55 are unique in that they're referred to as SLT (Single Lens Translucent) cameras versus SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras.

Unlike a camera with a conventional SLR design (where the through the lens image is reflected by a mirror into the prism and viewfinder housing with an optical viewinder), the mirror in those 3 Sony models remains in place (it doesn't flip) and allows for full time live view using the main imaging sensor (which provides a feed to an Electronic Viewfinder), since the image passes through the mirror to the imaging sensor, with the mirror reflecting some of the light into the camera's Phase Detect AF sensor assembly (a design that allows for fast Autofocus like you'd have with a traditional dSLR design).

See more about how that type of system works on the pages sony has about SLT cameras here (where you can see photos of cameras from the two different system types side by side). Click the + on each photo to see more about each system type.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...al_SLR_Cameras

It shows how the SLT type cameras (only the Sony A33, A35 and A55 so far) compare to Sony's dSLR models with a conventional mirror design and optical viewfinder.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:46 PM   #10

G'day Marawder

You have asked a most valuable Q - and received many answers

Between my wife & I we have a collection of FZ28, FZ35, Pentax Kx and a Panny G2 mirrorless SLR. When I compare bits 'n pieces of the Kx & the G2, each camera has its +s and its -s, however between us, the G2 gets lots more use than the Kx

For dSLR users who have never experienced the amazing responses via an electronic viewfinder, I strongly suggest they do so and sooner rather than later
The G2 EVF has 1,4million dots and the brightness & sharpness is beyond belief

To 'wave' an EVF camera to & fro across the scene to be photographed and to see the evf automatically lightening & darkening is an impossibility for traditional dSLR cameras

As others have mentioned above, focus response times for dSLRs are better than current EVF cameras, mostly because they have a special focussing mirror & mechanism to do so

However, [in my opinion] most dSLR cameras have grown in size to the stage that they are becoming unwieldy to handle - and I am finding many people whose fingers are having difficulty holding & manipulating dSLRs

My take on mirrorless vs traditional is that all SLRs will be mirrorless within 3-10 years. The mirror & its mechanical operations are left overs from the 1950s era ... it has served the photo industry well for a long time, but it will be replaced by electronics in the very near future ... ie- it will be a re-run of the changeover from film to digital

Hope this helps you...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote