Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Just bought T3i

Hello
I just bought a Canon T3i and I am now looking to fine tune my photo skills. Does anyone know of free training on the web in general digital photography or specifically on the T3i?
Thanks much
Warren
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Try Canon's Learning Station first.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:54 PM   #3

Go to youtube and type in "photography for beginners" or "photo tips for beginners", etc. There are lots of excellent tutorials to get you started and to build from. Once you've watched a few you can then focus on specific issues that you want assistance with in your photography.

Congrats on the new camera!

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:02 PM   #4

Www.dslrtips.com
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:44 AM   #5

To me the best traing is going out taking pictures you will learn by your successes and failures. Good Luck the T3i is a good camera
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:09 AM   #6

Aside from looking at the learning station on the Canon site, I can think of no more important thing to do than reading your manual. Yea, I know that's boring but, it is the first step in knowing your camera and how it functions.

Best of all, it's free.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:57 AM   #7

manual? Is that that shrink wrapped thing that is normally used as a coaster or to fix a wobbly table?

Seriously though, many of the link suggestions given so far are good starting points.
Also a visit to a local library can get you some good books to look through on photography.

Or look up and join a local camera club if any are around you.
You can learn a lot from going out to shoot with more established members.

Last edited by PeterP; Jul 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:36 AM   #8

I realize I'm replying to a fairly old thread and you may have figured everything out by now... Hopefully you're enjoying your new camera! But, FWIW, I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

When I was first learning photography (with a film camera), I read a tip somewhere that basically said... Keep a notebook and write everything down that you did (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, distance, etc); Bracket all of your photos by one f-stop in either direction (write it down); go through all of the settings, one by one, taking three pictures for each setting (bracketing); take lots of pictures and write them all down. When you get your film developed, analyze it against your notes.

This was excellent advice, because I got to see what each setting did. With the advent of DSLRs, we don't have to wait for our film to be developed; we have instant feedback. It's awesome and I love it!

So, my suggestion to you is to just start going through each setting, one by one and see what they do. Yes, it's time consuming; but it will teach you what you need to know about how to use your camera and get the results that you want.

Take pictures from different perspectives: laying on the floor; standing on a ladder; up close; far away... Browse other people's photo albums on the internet and see what they do; see what inspires you.

I really like http://www.dailyshoot.com/. They give you a different assignment each day; for me, it really does help to get the creative juices flowing. Even if I don't post a photo, it gets me thinking.

HTH!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieBug View Post
I realize I'm replying to a fairly old thread and you may have figured everything out by now... Hopefully you're enjoying your new camera! But, FWIW, I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

When I was first learning photography (with a film camera), I read a tip somewhere that basically said... Keep a notebook and write everything down that you did (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, distance, etc); Bracket all of your photos by one f-stop in either direction (write it down); go through all of the settings, one by one, taking three pictures for each setting (bracketing); take lots of pictures and write them all down. When you get your film developed, analyze it against your notes.

This was excellent advice, because I got to see what each setting did. With the advent of DSLRs, we don't have to wait for our film to be developed; we have instant feedback. It's awesome and I love it!

So, my suggestion to you is to just start going through each setting, one by one and see what they do. Yes, it's time consuming; but it will teach you what you need to know about how to use your camera and get the results that you want.

Take pictures from different perspectives: laying on the floor; standing on a ladder; up close; far away... Browse other people's photo albums on the internet and see what they do; see what inspires you.

I really like http://www.dailyshoot.com/. They give you a different assignment each day; for me, it really does help to get the creative juices flowing. Even if I don't post a photo, it gets me thinking.

HTH!
Thanks very much for the advice, it is much appreciated and I will do all what was stated. Makes perfect sense.
Warren
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:27 PM   #10

I found that our local Art College had a 3 week summer course at night. It was tremendous and worth every cent of the $200 tuition.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote