Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Default DVD Media Question

I am using a PC computer and save my images on Memorex DVD-R and find them to be very good for my storage needs....

Now I am working on a long term project in which I am taking pictures of the building of a $65M high school. The project is almost complete and when completed I am required to burn all of the photos over for the local government.

I found out yesterday that the computer that would read the disc if they need to pull up the pictures would be a Mac. So I was just wondering as stupid as this sounds if I need to do anything different when I burn the final discs for the government vs the way I burn them now (use Nero 10 and just burn the discs as Data DVDs). Is this a universal format that can be read by both PC and Macs or if I want to have a Mac read my data discs do they need to be formatted or burned differently. I know years ago when I only used macs 2000- 2004 that some of my discs could not be ready in PCs do to the disc format I used.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:32 AM   #2

Most data DVDs use one of the two most widely supported filesystems
ISO 9660 and UDF. There are several versions of each and various extensions
were introduced over the years. These allow support for things like long filenames,
deep directory structures, larger file sizes and so on.

Mac OS, Linux, FreeBSD and other modern operating systems have good
support for these file systems. Your data DVD should be readable on a Mac
or Linux PC without any problems.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:33 PM   #3

Thanks that is what I thought but needed to be sure as I don;t want issues when I turn over the stack of discs.

dave
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:41 AM   #4

DVD media can be used in a number of formats, some of which are only compatible with the Windows operating system. For the broadest possible compatibility, you need to be sure that you select the format that works with DVD players.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:48 PM   #5

I ran a test yesterday and wanted to let you all know that using Nero10 I created a data disc (DVD; using DVD-R Memorex disc) and burn 3.2GB of photos to it that were stored over 3 separate folders. I took it to the school's central office. They put it in the DVD drive both a mini mac and a Mac G4 and both machines were able to open the disc and display the photos via Apples iphoto.

dave
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:18 PM   #6

Congratulations!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:52 PM   #7

TCav I was a little worried because before 2005 I only used Macs and in 2005 switched to windows machines only. I remember times I would burn Mac Photo CDs and that could not be read by non Mac drives/operating systems........ I'm glad things have and the times have changed.

Although I rather be burning the 10,000+ photos to a couple of Blue-Ray discs, but only the IT department at this time has a blue-ray burner and only a hand full of the newest computers have a blue-ray player in them.......... I'm sure one day down the road blue-ray birners and players in PC s will come standard just like DVDs are now (moving up from the days of floppies and CDs). I guess I stuck with burning 3 sets of 14+ DVDs.

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Aug 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM.