Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2002, 7:00 PM   #1

Default Best Digi camera for macro Shots

I'm looking for some advice concerning taking Macro Shots. Using one of the newest digi cameras on the market.

Which one(s) take the best Close-up Macro shots. I take pictures of watches/jewelry so I need a digi camera that gets right up close and gets all the details super sharp and clear.
Which ones should I consider?

I'm using a Sony S-75 right now, but I'm considering upgrading to a 5mega pixel camera.

Thanks!

John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2002, 7:51 PM   #2

Depending on the required output you can do quite well with most good digicams. If you go with a small CCD digicam rather than a DSLR you'll actually get more depth of field at similar apertures and field of view. What is the output? If you need 11x14 prints you'll want the whole 5mp but if you have room to crop that's like having more magnifican.

I'm working with a Dimage 7 and find it does very well in macro mode. I took a couple of quick test shots at the telephoto macro setting so you can see field of view and depth of field. First image is the field of view, about 50x38mm. Magnification is a bit abstract with a bitmap image but the field of view is actually a little smaller/better than a 35mm at 2:1 magnification. Add on closeup lenses will get you more magnification. Second is depth of field, the marks are 1/8" apart at f8.

padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 7:52 PM   #3

Depth of field

BTW the field image is scaled from the original 2560x1920 bitmap, the DOF is the cropped center section at full resolution.

[Edited on 8-13-2002 by padeye]
Old Aug 13, 2002, 8:17 PM   #4
NHL

Should one get more DOF with a D7i, since unlike the D7, one can go into macro @ the wide setting as well rather than just @ the tele position ?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:16 PM   #5

I don't think so. The biggest factor in DOF calculations is magnification. In other words no free lunch. Personally I see no purpose in the WA macro because it requires the subject to be much closer and the distance exxagerates the barrel distortion at WA.

I'll see if I can find my spreadsheet for DOF calculations and plug in the numbers. Also someone will need to tell me how close the D7i focuses at wide angle macro.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:02 AM   #6

Default Other Possibilities....

Though there are numerous good macro capabilities with a variety of cameras, for what you want to do the best solution may be the Nikon CP series for a couple reasons.

First, they have the largest image possible with the natural lens. Though there are several cameras which can shoot very close to objects (less than 1 inch) the actual size at this distance varies considerably. The CP950, 990, 995 and 4500 will get you a standard men's watch face that fills the horizontal aspect of the frame at 2cm distance.

Second, they have the Cool-Light SL-1 ring light which screws directly on the 28mm filter threads. This is not a ring flash, but a continuous light which is useable from less than 1 inch to over 4 inches distance, ideal for watches.

The CP950 is 2 megapixels, the CP990 and 995 are 3.34 megapixels and the CP3500 is 4 megapixels. There is a ring light being offered but not yet available for the Nikon 5700 5 megapixel camera, but my personal opinion is that the CP4500 is a better choice because of its versatility - swivel lens, internal lens movement (no telescoping external lens).

Here are a couple typical shots with a CP950 (if you want, I'll shoot a couple with the CP4500 and the ring light tomorrow) showing the more extreme macro capabilities. Obviously you may not want to get this close - but you can....

Best regards,

Lin

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:18 AM   #7

Thank you Lin for the information and pictures you've provided. They are very helpful. Could you also post a picture of a shot with the CP4500.

Thanks to all who replied.

regards,
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote