Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandscooter View Post
Yeah you made my donut look how I would have wanted it to look!

Nice!

This means that I need a lesson in good post processing. I think I should buy a new more modern program and get a good book to teach me how to use it.

As has been mentioned, a very good post processing program that, wont break the bank, is Adobe's Photoshop Elements with the latest version being 9.0.(I believe). It is very powerful for the price- less than 70bucks.

Scott Kelby writes many photography related books and I do believe he has one for PSE 9.0. You can pick one up on Amazon.com. His books are clear, to the point and will get you started.

As for getting rich vivid colors;
I would definitely shoot in RAW. This will give you the greatest flexibility in managing how much color you may want add when you go to Post Process the image file. Adjusting the saturation in camera, while okay as a stop gap, will give you problems because if the image coming out of the camera is 'overcooked', it will be that much harder to correct in P.P.

Adobe's Photoshop Elements 9.0 comes with a really powerful RAW editor called simply Camera RAW. The RAW program, will allow you to do all the manipulation of color, saturation, vibrance, sharpness, clarity and noise removal just to name a few. It is here that you will get the 'pop' that you're looking for.

I would suggest you download a trial version and play with some of the images to get the feel of what can be done. If you have specific questions regarding how to achieve a specific effect, you can post your question in the
Editors forum of this site. one of the gurus will definitely be willing to help.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:09 PM   #22

Apologies in advance for my threadjack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Adobe's Photoshop Elements 9.0 comes with a really powerful RAW editor called simply Camera RAW. The RAW program, will allow you to do all the manipulation of color, saturation, vibrance, sharpness, clarity and noise removal just to name a few. It is here that you will get the 'pop' that you're looking for.
I've never played with RAW images (since I've only had my camera for a couple of days). I tried to open one in my ancient version of PS last night and it didn't work - it refused to open the image. Do you know what I should do, in order to get PS to recognize the format?

Thanks!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieBug View Post
Apologies in advance for my threadjack...

I've never played with RAW images (since I've only had my camera for a couple of days). I tried to open one in my ancient version of PS last night and it didn't work - it refused to open the image. Do you know what I should do, in order to get PS to recognize the format?

Thanks!
Hi,

Hard to answer your question as you did not mention the PS version that you have.

Probably, the best way is to go to Adobe's webite:
www.Adobe.com/support

There you can look for updates to your particular version of PS to see what updates are available. One thing to note, depending upon the PS version-if it is too old- Camera RAW may not be available for it.

If you have trouble finding anything out, reply here with the PS version you have and i or someone else will surely reply.

IMPORTANT: please include the model of your new camera.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jul 25, 2011 at 9:21 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:58 PM   #24

Find your camera in this list and it will tell you which version of Adobe Camera Raw you need
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

JeannieBug From other posts I believe you have a Canon eos T3?
That needs ACR 6.4 which comes with Photoshop Elements 9 or Photoshop CS5.

Generally new generation camera with older version of camera raw dosen't work.

Last edited by PeterP; Jul 25, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
JeannieBug From other posts I believe you have a Canon eos T3?
That needs ACR 6.4 which comes with Photoshop Elements 9 or Photoshop CS5.

Generally new generation camera with older version of camera raw doesn't work.
Yep, I have an EOS Rebel T3 - good memory!

I am using PS 6.0.

I went to the Adobe site and they suggested that I download the DNG converter; I did. I converted the file and it still wouldn't open.

So, I'll just keep using the jpegs, until I can afford to get a newer version of PS. No biggie. It's not like I know what I'm missing...

Thanks for the help though, guys! I do appreciate your trying!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:02 PM   #26

So I learned quite a few things here; a few of which include:

a. I downloaded a free trial of Photoshop Elements 9. Nice program. I like it so I just bought it along with a "missing manual" book.

b. Boost the saturation (on camera and off).

c. Shoot in RAW.

I also built a DIY lightbox so I can get nice pure light in my kitchen without bouncing a flash. I shot some pictures of some steaks in my new lightbox, in RAW, and increased the saturation a bit. Photo below.

This is more what I'm after. So I'm sure it will get better once I actually familiarize myself with a-c above. Again, my goal is to just get some great colors on quick food shots for my grilling blog (www.Grilling24x7.com).

Thanks again,

John
Attached Images

johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:08 PM   #27

You can shoot in RAW or JPEG actually. RAW just gives you great leeway in editing. But the newer editing programs does a excellent job with jpegs as well now. Raw is about workflow and if you have a excellent workflow, after all the editing, and a jpeg is produced. You will have excellent results.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:18 PM   #28

I'm still thinking it's a bit dark. But, there does seem to be more depth of color, compared to your original photos. So, you're certainly on the right track! As you said, the more you do it, the better you will get. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see your future photos! You'll have us all hungry, before long, I'm sure!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:25 PM   #29

If you turn up the saturation in the camera, then shoot RAW, the saturation in the images goes back to the default. You can only increase the saturation of RAW files in post processing (in DPP, PSE, LR, etc.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:29 PM   #30

Incamera increases only affect jpegs that the camera's jpeg engine produces. As you are telling it increase sat. for the processing. If you want increase sat. incamera and in PP. You can do that with Jpeg.