Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Kodak Digicams - new products round the corner?

Just caught sight of this news in UK today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3394183.stm

"The decision is in line with the firm's strategy of moving away from traditional products in favour of high-growth digital technologies."

What do you all think? Will Kodak move up alongside the already established top players quick enough to bring prices down/ performance up? How long will the 35mm roll film last and will it still be affordable? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:56 AM   #2

I can't believe Kodak came so late to the party.Did they think this was just something short term?This is so late in the game that they may be in real trouble.They better get going this year or they will be part of history,like Polaroid.Just my opinion.
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3

I think the digital camera market is the only direction that companies similar to Kodak can move. I think Kodak may have found it's niche with it's docking station technology. My sister loves her 6490 and the ease to transfer photos with the docking station.

35mm film will continue to be a viable market. There are many digital users that still keep their 35mm setup to do certain types of photos. When the DSLR prices start to become more affordable then the 35mm industry may have real problems.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRay
I can't believe Kodak came so late to the party.
How can that be so if they have been making digital cameras for ages?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:53 PM   #5

From the article:

Quote:
The change in strategy prompted warnings from analysts that the company may struggle to catch up with rivals such as Canon, Dell and Hewlett Packard, which made the switch to digital products sooner.
Just a few comments on this. Dell and Hewlett Packard are not camera companies. Granted, HP has been in the imaging business for a long time but only recently they came up with digital cameras. Canon is a camera company. Kodak is mostly a film company. Their big business is STILL making film and they are changing their main business in the face of stiff competition from digital photography.

Still their digital cameras are as good as anyone else's as far as I can tell. I have one myself. However for some reason many don't seem to take Kodak seriously when selecting a digital camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:29 AM   #6

I remember them coming out with the first real performance digital cameras, but lower prices, style and consumer demand for features just seems to have left them behind.

Big Giant of a company with expensive products, slow to respond in a fast changing technology driven business with fewer barriers and protection by patents (e.g their film), allowing market entry from competitors, who quickly rose to meet the demand and are now established. VOX
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:30 AM   #7
NHL

Kodak has been making digital cameras for a long time... Some of their early DCS digital cameras in both Canon and Nikon mounts even preceded the OEM. The problem has always been making money at it!

Look at the market, only the top 3 or so manufacturers are making money... everyone else is swimming in red ink piling investment money in development, advertising and distribution costs of so many new models that just then go obsolete (and sold @ discount) as soon as they are released... and the cycle then repeat... All good for the consumers, but not so good for the manufacturers

... Film business is a cash cow. Folks keep buying supply and chemicals, unlike flash which is re-usable with no following up revenue on e-mail (or web posting) either! Camera sales are a one time deal... and I bet you Canon and Nikon are making money on the lenses and not so much on the cameras... let discount thoses D300/D70 some more... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:18 PM   #8

And....

Do not overlook the myriad of web sites that offer dig photos uploads coupled with ability to order prints.

Film cameras will always be here...their import will lessen over time
as dig DSLRs become even better.

But, many, many folks will always want their 4 x 6 Prints...
on photo paper

The after photo service industry (prints) will continue to
thrive whether a photo's origin is digital or film.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:55 AM   #9

..........Do not overlook the myriad of web sites that offer dig photos uploads coupled with ability to order prints...............

Only for the time being until somebody produces a laser photo printer for home use, at a comparable inkjet price, or introduces new affordable print technology to match the photo prints archival durability and colour.

The manufacturer probably won't be Kodak though. VOX
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:17 AM   #10
NHL

It's easy to beat on big Co, but don't forget Kodak also makes some big inovation... Their [email protected] are first to use the power saving Organic LED with no backlight (ie less battery consumption)!

... or their image sensors used on large format professional cameras or the 4/3 E1 either. 8)

... just some poor marketing mistep... Can't blame them for not trying! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote