Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2004, 2:14 PM   #1

Default Enlarging Artwork

I have a painting that I want to make a enlargement of 20" x 30". I have a 4x5 color transparency of the original painting also that was done professionally. I can also take a picture of the painting with a Digital Rebel. I was wondering if I scanned the 4x5 on a good photo scanner, will it be better quality than using the DRebel photo and enlarging it in Photoshop. I'm gonna use Walmart's outside photo services because it is very inexpensive. I was gonna use a photo lab using the 4x5 made into a C print but it would cost close to $150. I think Walmart wants under $20.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:15 PM   #2

You will probably get better quality scanning the transparency in a good photo flatbed like an Epson 3200. Even a 1600 PPI photo flatbed with a lighted lid would probably do better than using the camera if it will take the transparency. Iím guessing a pro shop would have used optimum lighting making the transparency that might be hard for you to duplicate.

Check with Wal Mart on their maximum file size. Even scanning a 4 X 5 at 1600 PPI is going to give an enormous file. Seems I read over on dpreview that they have a max file size. A TIFF from your Rebel is close to 18Mb and might also be too large for them.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:06 PM   #3

You could try taking 4 or 5 shots on a tripod and zipping the images. Never done it, but the pano people do a lot of this with Pano Tools. That way you keep some of the res. - but you still need to handle big files in a V. fast PC. The disadvantage is how good geometry wise do you think the camera lens is ? Flat bed scanning avoids this, but I've heard you have to be careful to get faithful colour rendition.VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:43 PM   #4

Yes, you could stitch, but I wouldn't recomend starting down that road unless you think you will have some other reason to do some stitching.

First off, just try a simple single shot of the art, upsize it to be able to print at 20x30", then crop out a couple of 4x6" section with the most important detail, e.g., eyes, butterfly wing, .... Have those printed at Wal*Mart and see if there is enough detail in them to be good enough for you. Farily cheap test.

Also give them the whole upsized image to print at 4x6" - that will test any file size limits. I have given Wal*Mart a 170M file to print that way and they did it with no comment. I think their file size limit refers to sending them via the internet, not being delivered on CD to your local store.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:49 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up scanning the 4x5 in a Epson 2450 photo scanner. It actually turned out pretty good. I will have Kinkos do the enlargement of 24" x 36" for $90.00. They also laminate and attach the print on foamcore board. I found out that Walmart only wants a 4x6 print of the painting to make a negative for the enlargement. This would be an added step and the quality would be inferior for my taste. Glenn

Nikon 5700
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:50 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up scanning the 4x5 in a Epson 2450 photo scanner. It actually turned out pretty good. I will have Kinkos do the enlargement of 24" x 36" for $90.00. They also laminate and attach the print on foamcore board. I found out that Walmart only wants a 4x6 print of the painting to make a negative for the enlargement. This would be an added step and the quality would be inferior for my taste. Glenn

Nikon 5700