Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:48 AM   #11

I always make two CD opies of each set of images, a simple copy under Windows XP, and have a backup copy of the images on the hard drive of my PC at work. The later step allows me to test my backups.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:57 AM   #12

Quote:
images on the hard drive of my PC at work
I'm so glad you mentioned this as it's important to keep copies in several locations. I've forgotten this and I'll bet a lot of other people have too. Businesses do it all the time for the simple reason that disasters do happen. Water, wind, and fire come immediately to mind.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:55 AM   #13
csd

CAUTION to anyone looking at buying an external USB2.0 drive. Be sure you computer supports USB2.0 (if bought more than a couple of years ago - probably does NOT) as the transfer speed difference will be HUGELY noticible (12X - 2.0 is 480Mbps, 1.1 is 12Mbps).
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:00 AM   #14

Checklg, yes although I burn Cd's, I still keep the files on HD as well. I used to put stuff on the works server (as it's backed up to tape each night!) but then I started getting unhelpful automated messages about my storage quota! There's also a prob. if you leave and need to move your archive somewhere else when its got very big. I thought about offline storage, but even with broadband, access can be slow and limited in capacity - also you don't know how long the business will be around.

I've got one of those plugin IDE drive bays which I could press into service. I never think it's a good idea to share the OS and backup on the same drive, even a different partition. Also, depending on how you format and partition, you can end up with your archive on another drive - but your FAT on the default root drive C:. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:36 PM   #15

I also store a copy of all my photos on my PC, but...
The two major reasons I had to use a HD as backup was this:

1. My backup of photos fill up 66 CD's and storing in TIFF fills lots of CD's every month. Some time ago I had a system crash and had (photos on HD (not partition) no. 3 in the system) to load the photos back on a HD. If you tried to copy 66 CD's to a HD - then you buy a HD next time.

2. I only burned photos once a month and lost serveral hundreds newly shot photos during the crash of my HD. I don't want to burn every time I shoot. Now I just copy them to my external HD. Every time I shoot. Take max. a minute or so each time.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
I had to use a HD as backup
Yes, I agree with you, Klaus. It's exactly the reason I bought the SCSI drive I mentioned. I had room for it within the case, so that's why it's internal rather than external, but it serves the purpose well of having a separate and distinct drive for photos. Like you, I don't back up onto CD often enough to be safe, and it's started me thinking about getting one of those freestanding, portable hard drives as extra-extra insurance.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:34 PM   #17

I recommend a USB2 if you got the interface. It's FAST!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
I recommend a USB2 if you got the interface. It's FAST!
I don't have it, but the SCSI drive is just as fast as my regular hard drive, and there are times I could swear it's faster. Never a delay or pause when using it. And I can "daisy-chain" with SCSI, which means I could put in a third hard drive...if I could find any physical space for it, that is.

In the meantime, this thread reminded me I hadn't backed up anything onto CD in a while, so that's what I just finished doing. All you folks out there who keep saying you'll get to it tomorrow, don't test the gods. They have wicked notions of what's funny.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:24 PM   #19

Back to multi-session writing and all that, what I do is to archive to CD whenever I have enough to fill a CD. Then I burn in a single session. I also burn two CDs every time.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisr
Back to multi-session writing and all that, what I do is to archive to CD whenever I have enough to fill a CD. Then I burn in a single session. I also burn two CDs every time.
What size are all your photos before you archive to the CD and where do you store all the photos before archiving.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote