Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:57 AM   #21

I was just reading a book about the new Photoshop, and in it was a very strong suggestion: immediately after loading photos onto the computer and before opening them in Photoshop, burn them onto a CD--or two if paranoid. These CD's are then the direct equivalent to the film photographer's negatives.

After realizing that PS saves all changes made to a raw file over the original raw file, I've decided that immediate archiving is an excellent idea--either that, or copying the originals to a different location before opening them in PS.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:57 PM   #22

Rather than burning to CD - if you are currently in the market to buy something - think about getting a DVD-burner instead. You can burn 4.7GB to a DVD for backup (compared to 700MB for a CD - this gives you 6.7X the capacity!). DVD's are more expensive but burners have come down in price and, at least in my case, filling up 700MB CD's was happening way too quickly.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczych
Rather than burning to CD - if you are currently in the market to buy something - think about getting a DVD-burner instead.
The lower capacity of the CD at least forces me to do backups more often, though I still don't do it often enough. Eventually, of course, I'll end up switching to DVD just like everyone else will.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 9:17 PM   #24

I have 3 copies of each CD-R plus the originals on my HD. Once a newer media comes along I'll transfer the data from my CD-Rs to it.

DVD-Rs are very cheap now (as much as I paid for my 12x CD-R 2-3 years ago. However, I'm waiting for a 'solid state' type device which scratches could not effect... maybe a giant CF card that is 3"x3"x3" and holds 500GB ;-)

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:48 PM   #25

Hello!
I asked this same question all over and I've finally decided what to do... perphaps I'm over reacting, but better be carefull than loose it all!
I record one CD (at least) per month of year like this:
A "Disc at Once" CD from a Cheap brand, another copy with a MOORE average cost CD and another copy wth the GOLD 80 min KODAK CD. Unfortunatly this cds are at the end because Kodak doesn't produce them anymore. I've bought a bounch of them for close time. ANyway, there is another replacer you may advise?
I've also keep my original files on my 2 HDD from desktop adn server and plus the 3rd HDD from laptop.
All toghetherm I have 6 copyes of it all.
I thing I wont loose it, despite there's a fire or an hurricane at my place. No kidding, I'm considering of gettinh one of my CD copies to my moms, to prevent from fires and hurricanes and stuff!
Any sugestions?
Best regards,
Andrea
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:17 PM   #26

I use regular FujiFilm 700MB CD-Rs. No issues yet.

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:20 PM   #27

don't mind me, just trowing in this link

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=backup
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacer
What size are all your photos before you archive to the CD and where do you store all the photos before archiving.
The photos range from probably 400K to 1.3 MB. They are stored in the hard disk before I archive them to CD.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 6:57 AM   #29

Lots of way to do it.

I backup to a Linux based server, but here are some other ways:

External HDD. Firewire is the best choice with USB 2.0 a close 2nd

CDR is good but limited in space, especially if you are using Tiff, BMP or RAW etc formats. Be careful using too many sessions. After awhile, it may get hard to read the disk on some drives.

DVD+-R is now a very reasonable method. Drives are < $100 and media is reasonable.

The ext HDD is really the best bet. Cheap, tons of space, fast and easy to use.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote