Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Storing photos choice help...

What is the best and safest hardware to store photos on? These photos are from my digital camera.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:18 PM   #2

I archive my photos to CDs.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:19 PM   #3

Gib what happens if you want to add photos to that CD latter.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:20 PM   #4

As long as you do not Finalize the cd you can continue to add photos to it. I use cds like large floppies.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:55 PM   #5

Most mastering software anymore defaults to ďmultisessionĒ. It has to write the lead in for the next session before the preceding session, so if you donít start out multisession you canít add sessions. The Roxio software built into XP also automatically writes multisession.

Each session takes about 15Mb of housekeeping, so donít add just a few images at a time or you will use up too much of the space on the CD with useless leadins etc.

If you have Roxio software you can format a CDR with DirectCD and drag stuff directly to the drive. It uses only about 7Mb per session and is just as secure as mastering software. You can close out the CD when it is full so it can be read on any computer.

Packet writing to a formatted RW is not a secure place for your images if you donít also keep them on the HD. RW media doesnít last as long and there are many ways to lose the data.

Another alternative is to get a tray that fits in a 5 ľ bay and takes a hard drive. Remove it when you arenít writing to it.

I personally write the images to two CDs for archive. I use a high quality gold CD for one and an El Cheapo for the other. I havenít had problems with El Cheapos going bad but the CDs with Phthalocyanine or Azo dye are supposed to last a lot longer than the Cyanine dye used in the El Cheapos.

I make a separate folder named the same as the CD and have Irfanview make HTML thumbnails of the images on the CD. Irfanview is nice as you can make the thumbnails larger so you can easily sort through them. I have used Thumbs Plus for years for organizing my images and it unfortunately doesnít keep track of images you remove from the computer to CD. Iím thinking of switching to a program that does that.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:20 PM   #6

I use a USB 2.0 120gb 8mb buffer maxtor hard drive. My backup system is only powered for the few minutes I use it.

I've tried CD's, but some of them got bad (gold CDs!!!).

The HD solution is good IMO.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:25 PM   #7

Klaus, what brand enclosure do you use?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 4:12 PM   #8

Hi Eric.

I use this one:
DATA-TEC U350A USB2.0 box kit in aluminium for 1 x 3,5" IDE HDD

Features
40 times faster than USB1.1
High speed (480Mbit) and full speed (12 Mbit)support.
Support USB2.0 in Windows98SE, 2000, ME, XP and Mac OS,OSX.(USB1.1 Compatible ) If you want USB2.0 IDE bridge to perform at USB High Speed, your system must have USB2.0 host port(s) and USB2.0 host driver installed.
Plug & Play.
Aluminum external enclosure will cool down 3.5°®HDD easily.
Build in DC12V 5000RPM/min High Speed Cooling Fan.°Product Dimension W:115mm x H:33mm x L:214mm )

Package Contents
3.5"HDD External Aluminum Enclosure(USB2.0).
USB A to B Type Cable.
Installation Driver CD.
Manual.
5V/2A & 12V/2A Switching Power Adaptor.
AC Power Cable.
Plastic Base.

It works perfect under my XP - no drivers needed. It's very nice, that there's a on/off power button on the back. This way it can be turned on, only in backup situations, and this minimizes the risk of virus and system breakdowns. And you can easily bring this to another PC and attach it- which is more complicated with a HD drawer.

If you haven't got a suitable backup solution - this is recommendable!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:54 PM   #9

Hi, I don't like packet mode or multi session recording. Had some multi session disasters where the root dir. got written ok, then an added session made the first inaccessible. Prefer to archive to a CD format which from time to time I test on other machines. No good archiving from your own writer, then change it some time down the line only to have reading problems. Packet mode reliability seems to vary with burner and which software/version you use, and won't replay on older generic CD players.

I only archive photos a batch at a time to CD in 'Disc-at-Once' mode which seems to be read in new and older readers. Why worry about saving a few Mbytes of plastic when the discs are so cheap. Also I make a disc image first which helps avoid buffer under run errors.

PS I've been using Kodak Gold with long spec'd disc archive life, although I understand they're no longer made. I can still read one's I made 4 years ago and keep them away from sunlight! Still I've got a couple of spindles to get through. My present burner is a Yamaha, but next time I'd choose Plextor 'cos they make a drive and clever software which monitors errors on the burn. After all, how do you know after burning 620Mb of disk with 2Mb JPEG files, that every one is OK? Haven't looked at Dvd yet as write standards still seem immature. But then there are more pc's with CD readers. When MS start shipping their O'S's on Dvd it's probably time to change archive format to DvD.

When I tried some external drives a while ago, I thought the biggest problem was the time taken to defrag and format over anything slower than an IDE interface, so I still stick to plastic.

Just some food for thought! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:32 AM   #10

One of my extreme loves is the SCSI hard drive I installed for the single purpose of holding photos. It's a little speed demon, and archiving from there to multiple CDs is quick.

I've yet to have a CD fail. (I'll bet I shouldn't have said that. )
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote