Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:47 AM   #11

Ok thank you for the replies. The second barcode does appear to be the barcode, so thank you very much. Now I just hope the CPD finds my car...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:02 AM   #12
Administrator

Hopefully, that's it (second barcode).

I haven't found any EXIF readers that show a serial number in the EXIF from that model yet (and I did go ahead an install Phil Harvey's ExifTool on my wife's laptop running Linux to see if it could see it, since it's about the best tool around for interpreting proprietary maker notes information).

Now.. just because Phil Harvey's ExifTool tool doesn't report one from A55 images (like it does for many other cameras) doesn't mean that one is not embedded, as the developers of EXIF readers just may not know how to find it yet. If I were you, I'd also check to see if Sony's software is reporting it (it might if it's there). If you don't already have it installed, get it here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...-sr-3-2-a.html

Then, use Sony's Image Data Lightbox SR and look at information for a photo and see what it tells you about it. I know it can give you camera settings and lens used. But, I don't recall if it will report the serial number (and I don't have it installed right this minute to find out).

It is probably on the box somewhere though (or perhaps on a warranty card that came with it). Your vendor may also know what it is (and it could be on a receipt). If you registered it with Sony, they may be able to tell you, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:50 AM   #13

OUCH!

Good luck getting everything back.

Keep us posted, would you?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:52 PM   #14

Well there's been an update. The car has been found, but all of the photography gear has been cleared out of the trunk. The glass is shattered at one window, the headlight has been taken out, and he took out the speakers, spare tire, etc. Insurance is writing me a check for $1144 (Insurance valued it at $2144, there was a $1000 deductible) for new photography equipment. Everything else is a loss I guess. Time to start camera shopping.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:49 PM   #15

So sorry to hear about that happening to you. Hopefully, the greedy buggar who stole your stuff will have some bad luck in the form of handcuff's come his/her way.

I'd be checking lists like craigslist or something too see if the stuff comes up or call local dealers selling used goods too see if anything turns up just for the satisfaction of trying to catch the twit.

This is the exact reason why I am so leary of taking equipment in the car and leaving it for any period of time.

On another note, I have and LOVE the Canon 60D....its an excellent camera.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:30 PM   #16
Dig

Wait..I am sorry you lost your equipment BUT did you say you are driving in an uninsured car???

I can't tell you how many people I know that have been hit by drivers driving uninsured cars and have suffered physically from the accident.

If you can afford thousands of dollars of photo equipment you can afford insurance. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying (and I hope I am) driving without insurance in inexcusable.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig View Post
Wait..I am sorry you lost your equipment BUT did you say you are driving in an uninsured car???

I can't tell you how many people I know that have been hit by drivers driving uninsured cars and have suffered physically from the accident.

If you can afford thousands of dollars of photo equipment you can afford insurance. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying (and I hope I am) driving without insurance in inexcusable.
I know what you mean. I hate people who drive without it. I have it for collision, personal health, etc, I just don't have it insured for theft.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:36 AM   #18
Dig

"I have it for collision, personal health, etc, I just don't have it insured for theft. "

Kool! Glad I misunderstood and hope you get all the gear you need.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote