Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Everything stolen

Well, I parked my car in Chicago. It got stolen. Theres broken glass on the sidewalk and no one towed it. Inside my uninsured car was about $2k of uninsured photography equipment, including my Sony a55 body. Now I'm trying to register it for one of those "lost things" website, but I need the serial. Is there a place on the box where it is? There's a lot of different numbers on the box as well as on the warranty card, I'm just not sure what the serial number looks like or where it is. If someone could tell me where the serial is or even what format it would be in, that would be awesome. I'm just so upset right now. I also had inside my Pelican case my Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 30 f1.4, a Vivitar 383 flash, and the original Mac hdd (Which now means Apple won't fix my Mac. )

Also any other advice to find either my car or camera stuff would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I'm a poor college student whos also majoring in photography so not having a camera and nice lenses is a huge issue.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:53 PM   #2

Uninsured? Tough. You should know better
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:18 PM   #3

adamvk Sorry to hear that man good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Uninsured? Tough. You should know better
Insurance is the biggest scam on the planet. I f I had put all the money I have spent on car, house and medical insurance into a savings account then deducted all the money those insurance companies have ever paid out on my behalf. I would still have a nice retirement fund. Not to mention that insurance is the main reason health care, car repairs etc. cost so much in the first place.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:48 PM   #4

I am sorry to hear of this loss. Hope you are able to recover your car and gear.

tjsnaps: All the money I have paid to all insurance companies over the years, plus the interest I would have earned if I had invested it, would not have covered the two days I recently spent in the cardiac care unit. If I could sell all the personal property I own, for a good price, it would barely cover the ambulance ride.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:58 PM   #5
Administrator

Sometimes the serial number for a camera is in the EXIF of photos taken by it. But, I've tried a couple of different EXIF readers that interpret a lot of the Sony Makernotes section for that model, and I don't see a serial number unless I'm overlooking it. I just tried the latest version of digiKam with the latest kipi-plugins installed, and I don't see any serial number. I also tried uploading an image from that model to Jeffrie's EXIF Viewer and I don't see one from that camera there either. You may want to see ExifTool by Phil Harvey knows how to find it (as I haven't tried it yet and it's not installed on the laptop I'm using right now which is using SimplyMEPIS 11 for it's operating system).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
tjsnaps: All the money I have paid to all insurance companies over the years, plus the interest I would have earned if I had invested it, would not have covered the two days I recently spent in the cardiac care unit. If I could sell all the personal property I own, for a good price, it would barely cover the ambulance ride.

brian
You are probably right. But ask your self this. Why did it cost so much?
Answer: Because the hospitals, doctors etc. know that the insurance co.'s will pay it. And why will the insurance co.'s pay it? Because they know that they will still make a huge profit from the people who will never need it.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:30 PM   #7

Great answers to the original question.

Fill in the the numbers that look like they may be official serial numbers. This will at least go on record as being you property.
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Sometimes the serial number for a camera is in the EXIF of photos taken by it. But, I've tried a couple of different EXIF readers that interpret a lot of the Sony Makernotes section for that model, and I don't see a serial number unless I'm overlooking it. I just tried the latest version of digiKam with the latest kipi-plugins installed, and I don't see any serial number. I also tried uploading an image from that model to Jeffrie's EXIF Viewer and I don't see one from that camera there either. You may want to see ExifTool by Phil Harvey knows how to find it (as I haven't tried it yet and it's not installed on the laptop I'm using right now which is using SimplyMEPIS 11 for it's operating system).
Hi,

To follow up on what Jim C correctly pointed out. Some software editing programs will also provide the serial number of the camera used in the camera data (EXIF).

One such program is Adobe bridge found as part of CS5. i just checked and reconfirmed that it does indeed display the serial number of the various cameras that I use.

If you don't have access to Adobe bridge or CS5, simply post a photo as part of this post and I'll be happy to open it and retrieve it for you.
Please ensure that you send an original file that has not been edited.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You may want to see ExifTool by Phil Harvey knows how to find it (as I haven't tried it yet and it's not installed on the laptop I'm using right now which is using SimplyMEPIS 11 for it's operating system).
I checked a few A55 images using ExifTool 8.15 on Linux. I didn't find anything
that looks like a serial number.

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ says:
fail

The 'SONY SLT-A55V' does not write serial information in the exif.

The photographyblog.com A55 review shows a close-up view of the
camera bottom. You can clearly see the serial number of the body
and the lens.
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...roduct_images/

The serial number of the review camera is: 5800138

Is there a similar seven digit number on your A55 box?
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:31 AM   #10

The serial number will be on your box, There should be 3 barcodes, and the 2nd would be the serial. Sony kinda labal all their products in the same fashion so it will be there.
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote