Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:30 AM   #1

Default How should i clean my digicam lense?

Hi,

I just got my Canon S400, and when i turned it on I had my finger in the way so I smudged the lens, so my fingerprint is on it and I no longer have that beautiful new lense look that it used to have.

So I used my cloth lense cleaner (the one i use to clean my glasses) but I can't get that new sheen that the lense use to have. How do I get that? More importantly how should I clean my lense? Is my glass cloth ok?

thanks
Gizmofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:42 AM   #2

Some lens cleaning cloths are impregnated with materials which, it has been argued, can effect the coatings of some lenses. I'm thinking here of the calotherm style cloth which I use for years without visible harm to my binoculars.

The best option is something like a "Pentax" lens cleaning cloth, but always apply a blower brush first to make sure there's no nasty pieces of grit lurking about.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:51 AM   #3

I use a can of air that I bought at Sams. I blow the lens and then clean with a 100% cotton lent free cloth that I bought at my eye doctor's office. I rarely clean the lens because I have a uv filter attached to my lens adapter, which is something I would recommend. It much cheaper to replace a uv filter than the lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:48 AM   #4

Default Re: How should i clean my digicam lense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmofreak
More importantly how should I clean my lens?
Speaking as a chemist, I find it difficult to believe that the sophisticated evaporated anti-this-that-and-the-other coatings applied to modern camera lenses can be removed all that easily, e.g., by rubbing gently with a soft cloth or applying a mildly alcoholic cleaning solution (or mildly alcoholic operator).

Is there anyone one there from the lens makers who can tell us definitively whether we can easily rub them off or dissolve them? Of what are they made?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:09 PM   #5
Administrator

Default Re: How should i clean my digicam lense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmofreak
More importantly how should I clean my lens?
Speaking as a chemist, I find it difficult to believe that the sophisticated evaporated anti-this-that-and-the-other coatings applied to modern camera lenses can be removed all that easily, e.g., by rubbing gently with a soft cloth or applying a mildly alcoholic cleaning solution (or mildly alcoholic operator).
I tend to agree. I've been wearing eyeglasses most of my life. I use nothing more than water and a bath towel to clean them with.

Only once did I ever have a problem with glasses (my first pair with anti-reflective coatings). I was using paper towels which did mess up the coatings over a period of time.

Since then, I went back to cotton bath towels, and have had no problems.

As far as my cameras, I usually use nothing more than a soft cotton t-shirt, and have never noticed any problems. In fact, I even use a drop of windex (glass cleaner) on rare occasions to remove difficult smudges - - following up with a dry corner of a t-shirt.

I've seen no damage to any lenses that I've been able to detect.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:28 PM   #6

try a lenspen, it works great and they are cheap
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 4:50 PM   #7

Just a quick question bradg,

What is a "lenspen"?

and I apologize for cutting in on this topic.
leec0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:25 PM   #8

a lenspen is a cleaning tool used to clean glass optics, on one end it has a brush for wiping away dust, and sand or other big particals
on the other end, there is a tip with some kind of cleaning stuff on it (powder)
i have one in my bag and one on my desk
they are great for removeing fingerprints, or what not
they are 7.99 at ritz

http://www.lenspen.com/

ps: dont apolagize, it is free to any one
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I use a can of air that I bought at Sams. I blow the lens and then clean with a 100% cotton lent free cloth that I bought at my eye doctor's office. I rarely clean the lens because I have a uv filter attached to my lens adapter, which is something I would recommend. It much cheaper to replace a uv filter than the lens.
What air do you use. The cans I always pick up for the computer say not to use on cameras. :?:
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:56 PM   #10

Thanks alot bradg. I think I'll go pick one up.
leec0507 is offline   Reply With Quote