Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2004, 1:39 AM   #1

Default can you pick the editing in my photos.

I have set up an album with my first few trys with my G3. I have shown which photos are edited,. I was just wondering if it is too ovbious with any of them.

they are at the address below

http://au.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...hree/my_photos

Im trying to improve my computer skills as much as i can
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:00 AM   #2

Default Re: can you pick the editing in my photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty
I was just wondering if it is too ovbious with any of them.
These Aussie photo competitions are obviously pretty wearing, as you've aged from forty to forty-three in one day, according to your nicknames here & there! Or maybe you're 22 or 84, really. My wife's fifty today, and she makes accidentally, instinctively excellent pictures with disposable 35mm film cameras, without any of the hassle that we enthusiasts suffer. I filmscan her negs, and produce beautiful pictures that make me feel stupid.

I think 'digital editing' would be difficult to detect on a print. You'd be submitting a good-sized print surely, and not a downsized, resampled web image. The ones I like are the 'Aussie Christmas tree' and the 'Local coastal view'. I suspect you may have enhanced the saturation on both of them, which is exactly what I do to all my prints from my digicam. All this does is make them look more like the shot from a film camera. Anyway, I'd have to twiddle your pictures myself if I wanted to print them to look like your screen images.

But I think you should follow the Club rules for the moment, and get them changed to more sensible ones, and join another club as well. Myself, I just like to look at my own pictures,knowing which ones are really good to my eye, and impress friends and family.

Don't take any notice of the critics - all great artists get rotten reviews to start with.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:04 AM   #3

by the way the photos are best viewed on slideshow
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:12 AM   #4

thanks alan. I have been lucky to have actually won some competitions or got some seconds or highly commended for my photos (although none of those on the site Ive got up. )

i dont intend to go against the rules. I guess the good thing is that i know the subject matter for the whole year in enlargements and can edit to my hearts content with them. I have found that my hubby is better at editing than I am but Im getting there.

By the way im 45 in june. I had the aladyforty address ages ago and about 18 months ago set up a second email addy so theres the reason. Hope your wife enjoys her birthday.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:19 AM   #5

Except for the line of trees in rainbow hues, the best I could do with all the other photos was to guess about editing. Certainly, when it comes to sharpness, contrast, and saturation adjustments, unless one goes overboard with them, I can't imagine that they'd be detected.

Your yellow rose utterly fooled me. I was so sure you'd burned in the background! How did you capture that one?

Alan, my son has that same natural ability as your wife does. Often, after I've asked for his help in cropping and he's found the perfect crop that I somehow couldn't see, I pick and poke at him, asking him his process, asking him to tell me what he saw and how he saw it. Even when he's not really sure of the answers, the discussion opens my own eyes a little. Would your wife get annoyed with you if you did the same to her?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
Would your wife get annoyed with you if you did the same to her?
Well, actually, I do frame pictures myself quite well, and Sue doesn't even know she's done it when I show her masterpieces to her, or even agree which ones are masterpieces.

Getting her to hold the camera still ("move a finger when you push the button, not the whole hand") is the biggest hurdle, as with all the rest of the family.

Here's a new issue for a new thread - photography is anti-hereditary. If there's an apparent expert in the family everyone else doesn't bother to learn, because there's a a servant nearby to take the picture. Musicians have the same problem. World's greatest creative artists, and quite unrecognised.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:04 AM   #7

The yellow rose was just a chance shot taken at a flower show on auto. I just checked through the metadata and found that there was no flash and it was F4. I think it was in a low light situation from memory. I was suprised myself with the effect.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
photography is anti-hereditary.
Well...husband, son, and I all do photography, though the son is more often found with a video cam these days. We've had situations where we're all focusing on one another at the same time, a situation to be avoided since it leads to very heated discussions, occasional sulking, and periodic outbursts such as, "Will you please get out of my face!"

In our case, photography is inflammatory. :evil:
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:13 PM   #9

My hubby is into photography too, although he admits that it is I who have the eye for composing shots better than he. However he is the one who is good on computer programmes and editing. Guess it makes for a little less "In your Face stuff" It does not stop him believing his photos are better than mine sometimes though :lol:
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:42 AM   #10

Quote:
It does not stop him believing his photos are better than mine sometimes though
I'm familiar with that one. 8)