Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:54 AM   #11

Ah, but just wait until my Balloon Assisted Gyroscopic Universal Everything Stabilizer hits the market. Just have to work out what to do in windy conditions, or if someone lets go of the camera and it floats away. Maybe Anti-grav ..... hmm. Later,

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:30 PM   #12

I was thinking of helium filled lenses,
My hydrogen filled lenses did not go over so well at the campfires.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:34 AM   #13

Gyro stabilization might be a yard stick. It adds weight plus compensating motion.
The whole stabilization idea comes from military use, how to stabilize for a target.
I am sure they have yard sticks which could be applied to cameras too.
The issue becomes all the more important as cameras are getting smaller, lighter , more difficult ergonomically to firmly hold plus with LCDs , where the shot is taken without the stabilizing forehead (viewfinder) but with stretched out arms.
Who can aim and shoot 800mm equivalent lens securely?

Last edited by THAIPHUKET; Sep 13, 2011 at 5:28 AM.
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:27 AM   #14

Sorry, I got this link to open only now
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/ISWP2/ismethods_v2.html

I am sure with a number of tests/persons , it would be easy to come to a statistical yard sick for camera shake.

The illustration is very telling, the man is holding the camera to his eye, endlessly more stable than stretched arms. Also, to hold a small camera with 2 hands 100% horizontally is extremely hard, which makes accurate composing difficult and time consuming and increases shake. The results might be better if a revolver grip were attached.
At least it would stabilize the hands in a triangle, like shooting a gun.
THAIPHUKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:39 AM   #15

It's still not that simple. Note in the SLRGear.com tests that they show how much the stabilization helps a particular configuration. (i.e., how much slower a shutter speed a person can get away with and still get reasonable image quality.) But the results for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM on a Canon 40D are very different from the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G on a Sony Alpha SLT-A55V, when both have the stabilization turned off.

You can't have a "yardstick" where the "zero" mark is a moving target.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:38 AM   #16

OK, there is a point I never considered, as none of my equipment has gotten any smaller or lighter over the years
I have rarely used a point&shoot or tried to use a lcd for composition.

But IMHO it is a good idea , non pro equipment should get as small and light as inhumanly possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAIPHUKET View Post
The issue becomes all the more important as cameras are getting smaller, lighter , more difficult ergonomically to firmly hold plus with LCDs , where the shot is taken without the stabilizing forehead (viewfinder) but with stretched out arms.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:33 PM   #17

That's the point. The gear used affects how much motion blur due to camera shake will appear in otherwise identical images without stabilization. So any metric on image stabilization will be relative to the gear. A "yardstick" requires an absolute metric, and we don't have one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:33 PM   #18

One other thing to consider that makes measuring "shake" difficult to standardize, is each person has different hand holding abilities. Some are better than others, and there is probably a wide range of ability. There is no way to standardize when everyone is different.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAIPHUKET View Post
... it would be easy to come to a statistical yard sick for camera shake.
Right, the problem is statistical, not deterministic. It is neither simple nor easy to describe and even harder to measure.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:29 AM   #20

What we are talking about here (or should be) is a standardized testing method. Obviously, results will vary with individuals, but that shouldn't prevent using a single test protocol to give comparative results among cameras. You wouldn't expect to achieve the same Zero to Sixty MPH acceleration times with your car as the professional drivers did who tested it, but having the data for various models gives one a way to choose among them.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote