Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:28 AM   #21

Thanks very much for your comments corkpix. Its not so much that I was wrong, but I should be more aware of what Im looking at besides what Im looking at.
TCav, the funny thing about both images is they were shot directly across the street from each other. Just not on the same day. Another odd thing is that branches from the Black Walnut tree can be seen in both images.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
For you TCav, anything.
A worthy winner. Congrats.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:53 PM   #23

Thanks corkpix. Im looking forward to the awards nite. They are planning on a critique so I can get the info from the horses mouth. It will be the first time we get to know what the judges think and what they look for when they do their judging. Although I cant imagine taking a picture based on someone else's mindset.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:14 AM   #24

We weren't at the scene so it's your duty as a photographer to convey what you saw in the scene. If viewers don't get the same message then you need to revisit the photograph until the meaning is clear to us. Clutter confuses the message is what we are trying to say in our critiques and we view the cars as clutter.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:38 AM   #25

Important point Bob. What some consider clutter, in this case I consider part of the scene. Its pretty tough to outguess people. I did exactly as you say, I conveyed the scene as it was that night. But it didnt look anything like you see it in the picture because it was absolutely dark out. The only lighting was from the lights turned on and the street lights across the road. Doing HDR at night is great fun because its so mysterious as to what will come out. From out of the darkness comes so much detail.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:45 PM   #26

First, I am in awe of your night shots. They are almost painterly in your workings of the exposures and the post HDR processing. Just amazing.

The rendering of the stained glass windows is amazing. The detail in the house siding shows perfectly. it is a great setting. But to my eye, the second car is just too illuminated -- even its interior shows up perfectly and as such is a distraction from the house.

Comparing the two photos I cannot help but to be deflected from the subject in photo one by that car. But there is no similar distraction in photo two.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:21 PM   #27

Thanks for those kind words KulaCube. Its not easy to look at a scene from someone else's eyes and what they seem as important or distracting. Its usually obvious, but in this case everything was so dark when I started. After doing the post work on it I was looking at the overall scene which was the subject -- the scene and not just the house. I considered the cars as part of the scene. Always something to learn and this has been helpful. Thanks again.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:26 AM   #28

If the car was a 1920 Ford it'd be a safe bet that most would find it an interesting inclusion in the photo. Perhaps a late model domestic doesn't fit if the viewer was looking for a kincaide-esque shot.

So there's the rub - the photo so effectively captures the house in a classic way that people are drawn to the unfamiliar element and reject is as foreign, as not belonging. What to do? Follow our own path regardless of those 'expert' opinions if it is what we believe in.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote