Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:06 PM   #1

Default New 8MP Canon Prosumer rumors

Rumors only at DPreview forums....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7336124

I been looking at a G5 or Minolta A1, but I think I'll wait to see what the Feb announcements look like.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2004, 5:44 PM   #2

If they're going to put an 8MP sensor into a camera the size of the G5, the technology is going to have to be really amazing if there's not going to be a lot of noise. From what I've heard, the G5 already suffers from having a 5MP sensor the same size as the G3's sensor.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:28 PM   #3

I agree the 828 is just too large, but there is no way anyone is going to get an 8Mp 28-200 f2 lens on a camera as small as a G5. The Sony has a lot of nice features like manual focus ring, continuous focus, hologram laser focus, excellent EVF with real time histogram, 640 X 480 30fps video, 14 bit AV conversion etc that is going to be hard to match.

As UrbanPhotos mentioned, Canon didnít do that well with the noise on the G5 so I doubt there will be real magic there. I would rather post process myself when necessary with something like Neat Image than have the camera overprocess the image to eliminate noise.

I expect others will release 8Mp cameras but I doubt they will do that much better with noise.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:40 PM   #4

I dont need or want 8 MP. i want a flexible prosumer camera. To me, the Minolta A1 comes MUCH closer to that mark than the 828 does. The A1 is smaller, lighter, has 28 - 200mm STABILIZED, all the features I want without MP, size and weight overkill.

I'm hoping the new Canon will be closer to the A1 type of design.

Steve mentioned in another thread that a manufacture was going to be releasing a very nice camera of this type. I'm guessing it is the new Canon, but that may not be the case. In any event, I'm holding off buying anything until I see what they have to offer.
I dont see why it is not possible to get it in a G5 size body. The Oly C750 10x 5 MP is smaller than a G5 by quite a bit.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:16 PM   #5
kex

they should better release some more dSLR cams with 5 or 6 MP.
Wouldn't be interested in a G8 or something similar. :S
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:16 PM   #6

The 750 is 4Mp despite the ď50Ē in the designation. Pentax makes the very small 555 with a 5X zoom and 5Mp so I guess it isn't impossible to get something around the size of the 750 or a little bigger with a 10X zoom.

But long lenses are very limited without stabilization unless you want to carry a tripod around with you. I recently got a Panasonic FZ10 and get good pictures with it. Iím a little disappointed in Panasonicís camera they attached to the great lens, but it is useable. I guess disappointed isnít the right term since I was aware of the limitations when I bought it, but it is still a pity they didnít design a camera that does justice to the lens.

The A1 is a much better camera if you can do without the long lens.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:29 PM   #7

You are right, the C750 is 4 MP. I've been looking at so many cameras I'm getting confused.

I agree on stabilization. A long lens without it is not very interesting to me. I dont feel like carrying around a tripod all the time.

If Canon (or other) doesn't put out something new that fits my needs, I'll go with either the Minolta A1 or maybe a Canon G5 and live with less zoom.