Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:22 PM   #1

Default Curiosity getting the better of me

Can someone explain what this firmware update is all about?, I see there is one for my FZ50, I googled, found it and, printed the instructions, that was when I got lost, there is no mention of what it does, or why. I would not touch it with a barge pole unless someone convinces me it is worth while, someone here no doubt will explain this mysterious process, meantime I am going out shooting.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:33 PM   #2

Digital cameras have built-in computers in them that have application programs, also known as firmware, that define the functionality of the computer and so the camera. From time to time the camera manufacturer will issue updates to the firmware to fix problems as well as maybe adding new function. They may list the bugs fixed and new function or they may not and just say "load this, it's good for you!"

Updating the firmware is usually a good idea to avoid known problems and keep your camera up to date.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:22 PM   #3

You can usually find information on the manufacturer's website. It should be in the support pages, and have info on what the update does as far as fixing problems and adding new functionality. Often, the fixes will include improved autofocus and burst shooting, and sometimes transfer speed improvements.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:18 AM   #4

Thanks, must do some more digging, what I printed out is complicated,and uses two pages of info I do not understand like "upper side cross key, and downer side cross key" so at the moment leave well alone.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:58 AM   #5

While updating a cameras firmware may fix known bugs or add a new feature.
It may also introduce brand new and as yet unknown bugs.

I only update if there is really something useful contained in the new firmware.
Also a failed firmware update can result in a bricked camera than needs to be sent in for repair.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
... I would not touch it with a barge pole unless someone convinces me it is worth while,
I agree, there is no reason to do an update that adds better handling of the time zones in Iceland. I also agree that most updates are worth doing - very few if any are for trivial reasons.

So first figure out what the update does, if it is worth doing, and only then worry about how to do it. Spending some time in the forum for your specific brand of cameras to help figure it out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
Thanks, must do some more digging, what I printed out is complicated,and uses two pages of info I do not understand like "upper side cross key, and downer side cross key" so at the moment leave well alone.
This sounds like a translation of instructions by someone who is not a native English speaker. I run into those a lot, and it can sometimes take a while to figure out by back translating. In this case, the 'cross key' would probably be the 4-way control button, and refer to the up and down directions.
Do you have the link? Sometimes people will post links for firmware updates which have been released for Europe or the Far East, which can cause problems for those with North American units, or vice-versa.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote