Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:02 AM   #1

Default Metadata Help

I have been playing around with my Nikon d5000 for about the last 18 months. I really love it and have enjoyed taking lots of pictures. I want to submit one or two of my my best shots to a magazine. They request that you send the metadata with the pictures you send in. I have no experience with metadata and would love some help. I use Photoshop Elements 8 to process my pictures. I assume that is what I should use to access the metadata. Would anyone be willing to give me a little guidance on how and where to do that?
Thanks in advance,
Soupcreek
P.S. I realize I should probably already know how to do this, but just haven't had the time I need to learn all there is to learn.
Soupcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:03 AM   #2

The Metadata they're referring to is the EXIF data in a file header that cameras attach to images, but that some image editing applications corrupt or even strip altogether.

The EXIF data contain information about the camera and the settings that were used to capture the image. There are many applications that can be used to read and even edit the EXIF data. PhotoME and Microsoft Pro Photo Tools are two popular choices and they're free.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:40 AM   #3
Administrator

If you use Save for Web versus Save As with a Photoshop product like the Elements 8 you're using, it strips out the EXIF data.

Use Save As instead.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:19 PM   #4

Another thing to be aware of is that many editors, and PSE is among them, append their own tags to the metadata. In some cases, for photo contests, the rules will specify no editing, and finding these tags can be grounds for disqualification. I think this is changing, but there still may be instances of this.
If you are restricted from editing the photo, a better choice might be Irfanview, which has the option to keep the original metadata when you save.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. The magazine requests that post processing be minimal, but not non-existent. Another reason for the metadata is that they want you to include a small description (where, when, and surrounding circumstances) of the photo. I need to add my description and also allow them to read the normal EXIF data. Is there an easy way to add things like a small description? I will try the above mentioned PhotoME and Microsoft Pro Photo Tools . The photo I want to submit is actually a pano that I stiched together using PSE 8. I am going to assume that the stiching process and turning it back to a .jpeg file has stripped the original EXIF data and that I need to replace the information in the metadata. Does that sound right?
Thanks again for help.
Soup
Soupcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:58 AM   #6

Exifer is a small program that allows you to edit and/or replace Exif information, and can be very useful in the situation you describe.
Irfanview also allows appending tags and descriptions, as well as adding copyright info. I believe the MS program is supposed to do this as well, but I could not get it to work reliably on my XP machine, so quit trying to use it. Maybe it has improved since.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote