Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:54 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Updated the slideshow on my website - thoughts please

I've changed the photos as well as the ratio they are cropped for my website as I wanted to bring some newer work in. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. It should resize to screen so I'm especially interested in hearing from people with larger/high res displays as I don'y have anything over a 19" here.

It is at Mark Smith Photography

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:32 AM   #2

Ok. I looked at it on a 1920x1080 tv. scales well. i did see what looks like way-over-sharpening on the shot with the 6 men leaping in the air. might have been a setting on my tv tho. and while you're asking, on your about page, you switch between third person and first frequently. other than that, as has been said before, you take beautiful pictures and your pp makes them better.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:28 AM   #3
Administrator

What Slideshow?

Just kidding, but I did notice you need Flash enabled to see it (otherwise, you just see the first photo in the set as a static image), and not all devices have Flash Player on them. So, you may want to consider a template for a slideshow that doesn't require Flash. :-)

But, the Flash slideshow works nicely on my desktop, and the photos you selected for it are really good.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks Frank and Jim.

Jim, the good thing is the site recognises if it is an ipod/iphone/ipad and then switches so still runs It's all done through Zenfolio and they've only recently added that feature. Are there any other devices it might cause a problem on?

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:59 AM   #5
Administrator

Any Android device that doesn't have Adobe Flash Player on it (probably millions of them by now) from what I can see with a quick test using my phone.

Adobe Flash Player won't run on a lot of Android devices, even if they're using a version of Android that Flash is available for. For example, I've got a little Samsung Galaxy Prevail with Android 2.2 on it, and even though Adobe Flash Player works on many newer devices using Android 2.2, it won't run on an ARM11 type CPU (this phone uses an 800Mhz single core ARM11 type CPU that is not compatible with Adobe Flash Player), because Adobe set strict requirements for the CPU types needed to run it, probably to prevent criticism of it's performance.

I just checked your site using my Samsung Galaxy Prevail. No slideshow (static image only just like I see on my desktop if I disable flash player on it)

Now, as time passes, more and more Android phones and tablets will support Flash Player. But, there are a lot of them already out there now with no Flash Support (even some brand new inexpensive tablets and phones using slower 600 or 800Mhz ARM11 type CPUs), and it looks like your site does not change the way it works with Android, even if it does with IOS based devices like the iPhone and iPad.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:01 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Great info Jim, that I didn't know. A bit of a pain, but also not a lot I can do LOL. It's up to Zenfolio to resolve things, I know they are looking at html5 so hopefully that will fix things. Until then I guess I'm stuck with static if someone is using Andriod.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:21 AM   #7
Administrator

It probably works OK if an Android device has Flash Player on it. The problem is that a lot of them are out there are incompatible with Flash Player (including my Samsung Galaxy Prevail), even though most newer devices coming out probably have it now.

BTW, just for giggles, I tried using the Dolphin HD Browser and changed it's User Agent settings to iPhone versus Android (so that a site I'm browsing thinks I'm using an iPhone).

Guess what? I can see the Slideshow from your site on my phone that way. :-)

But, a lot of users are not going to know how to do that (change the User Agent being reported to Web Sites with a browser that allows that), or that they would be missing any functionality by not doing it that way.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:29 AM   #8
Super Moderator

That's funny about the dolphin browser, so surely Zenfolio could do something pretty simple to get it to run on Andriod, I might just ask their tech team

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:50 AM   #9
Administrator

A lot of browsers let you do that (change the User Agent to something else if a site doesn't want to "Play Nice" with the browser or operating system you're using).

I even keep a Firefox addon called Prefbar installed on my desktops and laptops, because it has a drop down menu I can use to change the User Agent to something like IE 6 under Windows XP versus Firefox 7 under Linux if desired. I'm sometimes surprised by sites that claim you need IE for some reason, even though they may work just fine with Firefox if you tell the site you're using IE. Or, sometimes you see Linux users setting up User Agent Strings emulating Quicktime running so they can play Apple Movie Trailers using a non Apple plugin (you can add more User Agent Strings to it). Not all sites will "play nice" that way though (as some really do need something unique to a browser or plugin, so "spoofing" the UA doesn't always work).

BTW, that Dolphin HD browser I mentioned using with the ability to change User Agents is also available for iPhone and iPad. So, if you run into a site that requires Android, try seeing if it works with your iPhone by changing the User Agent to Android (or something else if a site requires a different browser and OS to work). :-)

It's a pretty neat browser anyway. So, you may want to give it a spin.

http://www.dolphin-browser.com/
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I will have to check some of those things out. You know too much tech stuff for your own good

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.