Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
Okay fellas ..... thx for your responses :-)

Several things for each of you -
@iowa - you mention "iso 3200 is strickly out of desparation" ~ maybe, but there are plenty of us 'togs who do lo-light stuff and who, in days past have worked with ISO-3200 film .... are you suggesting that ISO-3200 work is somehow 'flawed' because it shows grain? [not into arguements here - just a rhetorical Q]
Regards, Phil
Nah, I wasn't trying to comment on anyone else's work. I'm saying that for my needs and with my equipment, I'm not satisfied with my results at iso 3200. Given what Shoturtle was saying, I need to add "and my skill level" to the list of reasons why.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:54 AM   #12

Hi there! I am considering purchasing a DSLR or mirrorless camera. I want to be able to take pictures of normal activities such as family events, vacations etc. However, I need a camera that will work in low light conditions. Found some options through this site , but I'm still far from the right decision.
Mark Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
Hi there! I am considering purchasing a DSLR or mirrorless camera. I want to be able to take pictures of normal activities such as family events, vacations etc. However, I need a camera that will work in low light conditions. Found some options through this site , but I'm still far from the right decision.

1. You are much more likely to get results to your inquiry by creating your own thread, instead of piggybacking on an old one, and by doing it in the What Camera Should I Buy? Forum instead of here.
  2. In general, larger image sensors produce less image noise than smaller sensors. That is, a 'Full Frame' sensor produces about the same amount of noise at ISO 400 as an APS-C sensor produces at ISO 200, and about the same amount of noise as a 'Four/Thirds' sensor does at ISO 100.
  3. Low light capability is much more dependent on the lens you use than on the camera. That is, a kit lens generally will have a maximum aperture of f/3.5 at its shortest focal length, and f/5.6 at its longest. There are other lenses that let in a lot more light, and so are capable of delivering better low light performance. So your choice of lens can have a bigger impact on low light performance, than your choice of camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote