Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:43 AM   #21

Quote:
..and so long as you didn't say "shoot" when taking pictures in the US with armed people around.
Ah, you Brits! The problem would more likely occur if the word were "fire." :shock:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:41 AM   #22

Reminds me of a photographer who was commisioned to make a portriate of the Pope. He showed up at the Vatican and told the Swiss guard that he was there to shoot the Pope.

About four hours later, he swore he would never use that word again.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:47 AM   #23

I would find this completely disruptive to the flow of a session.

With models you need to keep them engaged, giving direction and feedback, not break conversation every few seconds to talk to your camera. (k, I've done that but it was to say some choice words about a jammed back or misfireing strobes)

Also most people(non professional models) freeze up and set a odd expression when they think you are just about to shoot. I compose a shot and look up and talk to them while fireing off shots with a wireless trigger. Keeps them engaged and not thinking about the pictures being taken.

Quote:
Instead of going back and forth to your subject you could get them setting right and then say the command such as "take" . With a swivel screen you could also compose the shot from in front of the camera and possibly zoom in and out. What about those times when you trying to get babies to get just the right pose and your flipping things in front of them. Also macro work, night photos, long telephoto shots where you don't want the camera to move at all. How about custom settings where one command could set the shutter, aperture etc without having to go through a bunch of menues.

This has been done.
Space is the issue, do you want to record sound or images.
I take notes the hard way paper and pen (if the battery in the pen is charged )

Quote:
Maybe adding the ability to take a note with a picuture so you could replay the note when your back puting the image on your PC.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:51 AM   #24

Just suppose...;.

Your in a crowded night Club and shooting pictures.. your activation word is ...."Fire".

Your at the Zoo with Four others all with the same camera - and your a split second short of an award winning photo, the idiot next to you yells....take !

A Strip Club, with guys all yelling "Take it off".

This could go on forever -
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:53 PM   #25
Administrator

This is a funny thread!

Even though it may be of limited useability (depending on the user, and how he wanted to use it), it would still be very workable.

Voice Recognition software could be setup to only respond to the user's voice pattern -- negating the arguments about other users yelling out the same command words.

Also, with PC Voice Recognition Systems I've tried, you usually have to prefix your commands with a unique word, to put the software into command recognition mode. This could be incorporated into a camera, too.

Voice recognition code is already pretty advanced. That's why you're seeing it in most mobile phones. I'm sure the technology will continue to improve. Of course, some software works dramatically better than others.

Would I use it? Probably not very often. But, I could see some situations that it may be useful (self portraits, etc.) for cameras not equipped with a wireless remote.

The cost of incorporating voice recognition would probably be much lower (you're simply adding some code to a camera already equipped with a microphone, as most modern cameras are); versus the additional hardware costs for infrared sensors, a remote (and the extra code to use them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:22 PM   #26

Quote:
already equipped with a microphone, as most modern cameras are
................:?: :?: :?:
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:35 PM   #27
Administrator

Barbara:

It's getting pretty hard to find a new consumer digital camera that doesn't have the ability to capture audio clips, movies w/sound, or both.

Even though I never use them myself (mostly due to quality and storage requirements), movie clips with sound seem to be a "hot item" now in consumer cameras.

Hence, most already have a microphone built in.

Technology is changing rapidly, but perhaps I used the term "modern" too loosely.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:56 PM   #28

I had no idea. I'm on my third digicam, and none of them came equipped with a microphone. This is, of course, a very poor excuse for ignorance.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:47 PM   #29

Default I can see clearly now

hi

thanks for all the replies, very interesting read.
I seems like its probably a thing that is not going to cameras.

still on the subject of the vocie activated camera..... I was thinkin, if it was say........a headset (think blue tooth headsets) and u would say the word "cheese" and LCD screen is discreetly attached to it and a neck chord or somthing. Would that make it more attractive?

Thanks
vicountboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:05 PM   #30

Too many gizmos for me. :shock: